Global Mapper v25.0

Get Forum notifications by email

Amanda McDermott
Amanda McDermott Global Mapper UserTrusted User
I used to get email notifications when there were new discussions on this forum. I can't see a way to do that now, is there one please?

Answers

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hello,

At the top of the forum, on the far right there is a gear icon (Account Options).  Click that icon and choose Edit Profile.  On the Edit Profile screen, near the top on the right, choose Notification Preferences.  That will bring up a screen that lets you choose how and when you will get notified about activity on the forum.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • Amanda McDermott
    Amanda McDermott Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Thanks Bob,

I had found that - but all of the options are to do with discussions I've participated in etc. I would like to also be notified of new discussions that get started that I haven't had anything to do with yet (and then I might get involved / learn something!) Is that an option?
  • bmg_bob
    I had found that - but all of the options are to do with discussions I've participated in etc. I would like to also be notified of new discussions that get started that I haven't had anything to do with yet (and then I might get involved / learn something!) Is that an option?
    Have you tried the settings in the Discussions column under Category Notifications?

Cheers,
    Bob
  • Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Bob,
    Are you seeing something that we aren't?
    Mykle

• Amanda McDermott
    Thanks Mykle, yes my only options are the same as yours, as far as I am aware.
  • bmg_bob
    Thanks Mykle, yes my only options are the same as yours, as far as I am aware.
    I see another section below General called Category Notifications.   Presumably, it is related to my user status.  I will pass this along to our webmaster to see if there is a way to get the notifications you are looking for.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • bmg_bob
    Answer ✓
    Hello,

Unfortunately, according to our System Administrator, the current forum hosting configuration precludes sending those notifications to users who are not Administrators.  If we come up with a creative solution to get around this limitation, we will let you know, but at least for now, we will not be able to sent notifications when new discussion threads are started.  Sorry about that.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Thanks Bob!  I usually watch the Discussions list for updates, but that requires more of a commitment. 
  • hennie
    hennie Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Looking forward to a creative solution!
  • Amanda McDermott
    Thanks Bob. Hope your creative team can come up with something, you have never failed us yet!
  • hennie
    Well done!! It is working now. Just got my e-mail notification of Amanda's post.
  • Amanda McDermott
    Sorry Hennie - I think that is because you have contributed to this discussion...so comes under 'Notify me when people comment on discussions I've participated in'... my notification preferences options still look the same as above?
  • hennie
    Answer ✓
     :'( 
  • bmg_bob
    Mykle said:
    Thanks Bob!  I usually watch the Discussions list for updates, but that requires more of a commitment. 
    That is what I do also.  Not as good as getting a notification, but works pretty well.

Cheers,
    Bob