Global Mapper v25.0

How to search by coordinates, and get precise result?

Swoody
Swoody Global Mapper UserTrusted User
I feel so silly asking this, but how the heck do I search a workspace by coordinates, and get a precise result?  I cannot figure out how to do this simple task.  If I use "Search for Address" (which seems to be the only option) and input coordinates, it takes me to an approximate address (near but incorrect).  I have to assume it's using an address lookup and finding the closest "match".  

There must be a way to search by coordinates and get a precise result? How do I create a placemark at the actual coordinates I am searching for?

For example, I search for:  34.5895095550, -118.6818118708 and ask it to put a placemark at the result
Result: 34.588813, -118.682637.   350 feet from the correct spot.

Thanks!

Answers

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hello,

With the Digitizer active, right-click and choose Create Point/Text Features | POINT AT POS from the context menu.  This will bring up a window allowing you to type in the coordinates for your point.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • Swoody
    Swoody Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Hi @bmg_bob - Thank you.

But I still have the question -  how can I just do a search using coordinates  -- or do I always have to go the extra step of creating a point to get there?  Thanks!
  • bmg_bob
    Swoody said:

But I still have the question -  how can I just do a search using coordinates  -- or do I always have to go the extra step of creating a point to get there?  Thanks!
    I guess I am not  understanding what you want to do.  Are you just trying to center the map at a location (that is in the View menu)?  You mention wanting to add a placemark. That would be a point feature in Global Mapper, but it sounds like that is not what you want to do.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • Swoody
    edited June 2017
    All I really wanted to do was search by coordinates.  Later I was wanting to create a point at that spot, so that I could figure out why the address search wasn't actually taking me to the correct spot I was searching for. (I needed a reference point) I hope that makes sense.
  • Swoody
    I've just added a suggestion to (the Suggestion category) to add the ability to search by coordinates via the 'Search' Menu. Having to create a point to search is 2 steps too many to do a simple search.
  • bmg_bob
    Swoody said:
    All I really wanted to do was search by coordinates.  Later I was wanting to create a point at that spot, so that I could figure out why the address search wasn't actually taking me to the correct spot I was searching for. (I needed a reference point) I hope that makes sense.
    What do you mean by "search by coordinates"?  Would you expect to type in the coordinates, and have GM put a temporary visual indicator at that location?  I just want to make sure I know what you are trying to do.  Do you know of another program that does what you want so we can see it in action?

Cheers,
    Bob
  • Swoody
    edited June 2017
    I would want to zoom to that area - the coordinates would be the center of the workspace. A temporary visual indicator is a good idea .  I am assuming an empty GM workspace has no geo-reference points until you import content (?), so this is providing you already have some sort of geotagged content in your workspace, so it has something to reference.
  • Swoody
    edited June 2017
    HI Bob, a good simple example is google earth or google maps. Type in coordinates in the Search field, and you zoom to that area.