Global Mapper v25.0

How to remove extra "noise" from LiDAR?

Swoody
Swoody Global Mapper UserTrusted User
I've got all extra stuff (noise?) in the sky of my LiDAR file.  Any suggestions of how to remove it / clean it up?? 

Also, never really sure the best place to put LIDAR questions, since there is not a specific topic for them. I guess Vector data works??

Thanks!! 
Sara

Tagged:

Answers

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hello Sara,

Have you tried the Auto-classify Noise Points function on the Lidar toolbar?

Cheers,

Bob
  • Swoody
    Swoody Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Thanks Bob. I have never tried it before. Thus far Auto-classify Noise Points crashes my PC every time, which is a pretty powerful beast. Even tried it in small sections, but no luck. Most times it just crashes, but one time got this message: "Runtime Error! R6025 - pure virtual function call"  Aargh. 

• Swoody
    I am using the latest build of 17.1  (April 19 build)
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Swoody said:
    Thanks Bob. I have never tried it before. Thus far Auto-classify Noise Points crashes my PC every time, which is a pretty powerful beast. Even tried it in small sections, but no luck. Most times it just crashes, but one time got this message: "Runtime Error! R6025 - pure virtual function call"  Aargh. 

Have you reported this to Blue Marble Geographics Support (geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com)?

Cheers,

Bob
  • Swoody
    Going to do more testing, then report. It may not just be able to handle the size of the file. I'm able to get a smaller file to not crash. Thanks Bob!
  • Swoody
    edited May 2016
    I am again attempting to remove noise from my LiDAR cloud using the auto-noise feature. No more crashing, but just not getting good results. It will remove some, but I cannot find a good way to remove all this random noise in the sky. Any suggestions?  What I really wish was available...was a way to view in 3D, select the points /noise which is easily identifiable there, then delete. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
  • I'm having the same issues.  I've used other programs that seem to have a lot more control over noise removal but I was hoping Global Mapper would be the solution.  @Swoody did you find and resolutions?  
  • Swoody
    @SeicloneJosh, unfortunately I did not find a solution!  Apologies, only now saw your posting!
  • mudfoot
    mudfoot Global Mapper User
    Perhaps use the profile tool?
  • Using profile tool u have to take lot's of cross sections for classifying the Noise. 
  • Any update on noise removal?  I get noise at my trajectory from my uav lidar system.  On flat terrain it's easy to clean up.  But in mountainous terrain it's a lot harder.  Even if auto noise never worked, it would be awesome the be able to select noise points in a 3D perspective and assign from there.  That goes for any re classification. 
  • I believe this is not going to work in Global Mapper  instead you can try another S/W like Terrascan or LasTool  to get rid of Noise in data.