Global Mapper v25.0

Rmap format

HannesA
HannesA Global Mapper User
edited January 2015 in Suggestion Box
Hello !
Intro: There´s a very interesting GPS device and software developer in Spain , that allowes to use Raster and Vector maps on the same device : COMPE-GPS and TwoNav.
http://en.compegps.com/
Rastermaps can be used in *.ecw and with better performance *.rmap format.

To generate this proprietary rasterformat the TwoNav-Users have to transform the *.ecw ( or several other mapformats ) in another step to *.rmap.

This was a reason to open a suggestion at COMPEs "Uservoice" to provide a *.dll for third party SW , f.e. TTQV or GM , to read and generate the *.rmap format.
Long time it seems that COMPE would NOT provide their dll - but recent they changed their opinion :)
https://compegps.uservoice.com/forums/83987-general/suggestions/1557869-compegps-should-provide-a-dll-for-programs-like-tt?ref=title

Many users of TwoNav also uses GM to create Rastermaps on demand ( till now in several steps ) - so will there be a chance to implement this *.dll for Rmapformat to GM in the future and so make the workflow easier ?

Regards Hannes

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2011
    Hannes,

If CompeGPS releases a DLL to work with their format it should be possible to add support to Global Mapper.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • HannesA
    HannesA Global Mapper User
    edited May 2011
    Hi Mike !

Thanks for reply - sorry for double-thread upon this theme, as it was discussed some weeks ago, but I was to sure to be the first , so I didn´t search the forum before .....
    When I know that CompeGPS releases the dll to another GIS-SW ( f.e. TTQV ) I´ll tell you about this - I think a Rmap implementation in GM will increase the publicity and therefore might be an economical advantage on both sides ?

Regards Hannes
  • ajre72
    ajre72 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited December 2014
    Hello,

It's a long time since this request was posted.
    We can use rmap format in twonav, compegps and oruxmaps, three very popular platforms, at least in Spain.

It would be great to implement "export to rmap" with globalmapper.
    Mobac can do it but we are limited to online sources and forced to use Mercator tiles.
    If Mobac can do it, why can't globalmapper?

Thanks
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited January 2015
    Hello,

Recent versions of Global Mapper (v15 and above) can export RMaps tile data sets. Use File->Export->Export Web Format..., and choose RMaps SQLite Database from the list.

Cheers,

Bob
  • ajre72
    edited January 2015
    Thanks Bob,

I was aware of the new sqlite option but i was thinking of exporting to *.rmap

Mobac can create maps in sqlite (for oruxmaps) and in rmap (for oruxmaps, twonav and compegps). The second format is the one i would like to see implemented in GM.

Regards
  • bmg_bob
    edited January 2015
    Hello,

The RMaps SQLite Database exported by Global Mapper is in the RMaps format. You can rename the output file to *.rmap if need be. I will add an item to our task list to allow the database to be exported with the *.rmap name, but the data should already be in the correct format for RMaps.

Cheers,

Bob
  • ajre72
    edited January 2015
    Thanks again Bob,

Renaming sqlitedb to rmap did not work.
    In fact the sqlitedb output seems not to work for Oruxmaps.

Global Mapper will not open rmap files created either with Mobac or with CompeGps. I understand that the format is not supported.

Regards
  • bmg_bob
    edited January 2015
    Hello,

I misunderstood. I thought that you wanted Global Mapper to export RMaps files. We have an existing feature request (#12732) for importing RMaps import into Global Mapper, and we will post back here when it has been completed.

Cheers,

Bob
  • ajre72
    edited January 2015
    The ideal would be to import and export rmap files.

thx
  • bmg_bob
    ajre72 said:

thx
    Hello,

We have implemented support for importing RMaps Sqlite data sets.  This function is in Global Mapper 18 daily builds dated December 7, 2016, or later. Simply download the appropriate installer and run it to install the latest build.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • ajre72
    bmg_bob said:
    ajre72 said:

thx
    Hello,

We have implemented support for importing RMaps Sqlite data sets.  This function is in Global Mapper 18 daily builds dated December 7, 2016, or later. Simply download the appropriate installer and run it to install the latest build.

Cheers,
    Bob

Thank you Bob, but i think that rmap sqlite option existed in former versions.
    I mean support for plain rmap maps, the ones Compe GPS and Twonav use.

Thanks
  • bmg_bob
    ajre72 said:

Thanks
    Previous versions of Global Mapper can only export RMaps SQLite databases.  The release linked above adds the ability to import them.  As far as I know, this is the same RMaps (*.rmap) format supported by the programs you mentioned.  If it is not the same, can you post a sample that I can look at to see how it is different?

Cheers,
    Bob
  • ajre72
    bmg_bob said:
    ajre72 said:

Thanks
    Previous versions of Global Mapper can only export RMaps SQLite databases.  The release linked above adds the ability to import them.  As far as I know, this is the same RMaps (*.rmap) format supported by the programs you mentioned.  If it is not the same, can you post a sample that I can look at to see how it is different?

Cheers,
    Bob

ajre72 said:
    bmg_bob said:
    ajre72 said:

thx
    Hello,

Cheers,
    Bob

Thanks

Hello,

Here you can find some examples of what i call "plain" *.rmap
    This files work for Twonav, CompeGPS and Oruxmaps

http://shared.perchera.com/wl/?id=ty616LAw6i2JGSVf9nrUrzdathglVBiq

Thanks

• bmg_bob
    ajre72 said:

Here you can find some examples of what i call "plain" *.rmap
    This files work for Twonav, CompeGPS and Oruxmaps

Thank you for the link.  That file is indeed not a SQLite database.  I did a quick search, but was not able to find a specification for the data in that file, suggesting that it might be proprietary.  Without a specification or an SDK, it is unlikely that we will be able to add functionality to import or export these files in Global Mapper.

Cheers,
    Bob