Global Mapper v25.0

Save and reload camera position in 3d View

Hi

It would be useful for me to be able to save and reload the camera position (preferably including POV/FOV) in 3d View.  I haven’t been able to find any way to do this yet.  Have I missed something, or do you have plans to implement this?  More precise control over camera position and viewing angle would also be a welcome addition. I see a similar issue was taken up a couple a years ago but does not appear to have been followed up (ticket #14185).

Answers

• JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    Answer ✓
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion. Currently, the only way to modify and obtain the camera position is via the Global Mapper SDK. Indeed, ticket #14185 is related, but not quite the same thing. We'd still like to be able to explicitly set camera settings in the viewer; we just haven't added it yet.

Anyways, we're considering a couple of options: adding the ability to set 3D view via script command, and adding the ability to save named views, similar to what we do for 2D views. In the 3D case, we would need to set a camera location and orientation (pitch and bearing; we don't support banking/rolling at this time), plus FOV. We also probably should have a setting for view relative camera positioning (X,Y,Z coordinates in the range [0-1] or [-1-1]) so that predefined views could be defined that work with any view.

Hopefully the above makes sense to your situation as well -- hope that you'll let us know. I've opened up a new ticket for this -- #17690 -- so if you have any thoughts, I'd be happy to add them.

Best regards,

~Jeff
  • Hi and thanks for your reply Jeff 

Right, ticket #14185 is related but not the same thing.   

As to Global Mapper SDK, it has been a long time since I worked with that kind of stuff and while I’m sure it would be fun I don’t really have the time at present to invest in renewing my rusty skills on that front.   

Setting a 3D view with a script command would work.  Adding the ability to save named views in 3D (X,Y,Z with pitch,bearing and FOV) would be great. 

I will meet with a couple of colleagues in our unit who work with Global mapper and 3d maps/models/animation in a few of days to see if they have any comments to contribute. 

Dave

• Hi again

I talked to the group here and the only additional comment we have is that we like the "trackball" interface we get in Agisoft's PhotoScan photogrametry package  and MeshLab. Using scroll to zoom with  Ctrl as a modifier to pan, and in Meshlab using Up Arrow and Ctrl as a modifier to control lighiting are also nice additions.

Dave

• JeffH@BMG
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm familiar with MeshLab, but not with the AgiSoft product. I don't have a trackball, so I'll see if I can get hold of one, and see how the trackball interface works with these products and how it might work with Global Mapper. I've opened a new ticket -- #17722 -- towards that end. User control over lighting is something that we have on our list as well (#14504).

Best regards,

~Jeff
  • Hi again
    Bit of a misunderstanding here. I don't mean a hardware trackball, rather the "ball" on the MeshLab screen you use to tip/roll/pivot a 3d model. Have seen that refered to as a trackball interface.
    By chance, I do use a trackball, 20 years or so since my first one. Currently use a Kensington Expert Mouse, recommend it highly.
    David

• JeffH@BMG
    Oh, ha. Sorry about that, Dave.

I'll have to look at the trackball interface a little more closely. Some of it's not too dissimilar to what we do; they're just presented in a different way. But I;m sure that I'm missing some subtleties of what they do, and also bearing in mind that I haven't looked at the AgiSoft product yet.

BTW, MeshLab does zooming backwards. :)

Anyway, some things you may not know about the Global Mapper 3D interface that might make it easier to use the mouse:

In the default "Rotate" mode:

* Holding down the left mouse button rotates the scene; left/right movement for rotations around the center axis, and up/down movements around a line through the center axis that's parallel to the screen.

*Holding down the middle mouse button pans the scene in the direction of mouse movement.

* The scroll wheel (or neat little haptic touch pad that I have for a middle mouse button) will zoom the scene in (scroll wheel forward) and out (scroll wheel back).

For the above mouse operations, the following key modifiers apply (i.e., hold down the appropriate key and perform the mouse operation):
    * Ctrl key: lessens the effect of the mouse movement (i.e., less rotation per same mouse movement)
    * Shift key: enlarges the effect of the mouse movement
    * The 'V' : key: limits movement/rotation to vertical by clamping the horizontal component
    * The 'H' : key: limits movement/rotation to horizontal by clamping the vertical component

In addition, holding down the right mouse button zooms the scene in and out, based on vertical mouse movements.

Changing to different modes (Move or Zoom) retains the same operations, but keyed to different mouse buttons. I rarely use them.
  • Hi,

I am wondering if any progress has been made on this front?

Is there currently anyway to set the camera position in 3D View?

I would really like to be able to set a XY coordinate and height above ground (or Z), direction and FOV in the 3D View.

Thanks,
    Steve  

• JeffH@BMG
    Hi mbear,

No progress on this ticket  (17690) to report yet. We have it tentatively scheduled for GM 18.2, but it's not a guarantee, and it may slip to 19.0. We'll report back here with it's available.

Thanks, and best regards,

~Jeff
  • Hi Jeff,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have found a workaround for now.

If I use the Fly Thru tool, I can digitize a line feature where my individual vertices represent my viewpoints. Then if I use the Path Properties, I can manipulate individual headings for each vertex (viewpoint).

Then in 3D View, I can use the Preview tool to view each static image from each vertex (viewpoint).

I can't change the FOV, nor does it appear that I can actually save the image outside of doing a screen capture... but... I think I can make this work for now.

Thanks,
    Steve
  • BillB
    BillB Global Mapper User Trusted User
    I would just like to support this request.  The 3d view is fine for pretty images, but if you want to do some serious work with it, you have to be able to place the camera/target/FoV, but most importantly, save and restore named views, as with the map view.
  • Hello, first time poster and new user here (on v20.1), are there any news regarding this? Being able to set/save/restore the same view in 3D would be crucial for our work, but I can't see it on the release note of v21.0. Is this coming soon or is there maybe a trick or another solution?
    Thank you in advance!
  • BillB
    Agreed, again!  The simple reason (for us) is that if you want to use layers to show changes, and output those changes from the 3D view, you have to be able to replicate the same view tomorrow, or next week, or next year.  It is almost useless being able to create a 3D view but then not being able to replicate it at another time.
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hello,

The feature request for the ability to save and reload camera position in the 3D Viewer is still in our queue. I have added your requests to our issue tracker, which should bump up its priority. Having just released Global Mapper 21.0, we are finalizing the list of features to be included in version 21.1, so you timing is pretty good. We will post back on this thread when the status of the feature request changes.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • BillB
    Thanks, Bob, that sounds encouraging. Can I also repeat a request from above: "I would really like to be able to set a XY coordinate and height above ground (or Z), direction and FOV in the 3D View". This would allow precision location of the camera, as opposed to whatever is loosely achievable by mouse dragging. It should also be possible to rotate the camera left/right and up/down (preferably with a readout of degrees from north and above/below horizon). The FoV should be Horizontal FoV to match the basics of a camera lens.
    And all by tomorrow please :p