Global Mapper v25.0

Bing Maps Aerial Photo Data

teffinger
teffinger Global Mapper User
edited June 2015 in Raster Data
In my area Bing Maps has the best aerial photo background data. I've read through previous posts that talk about using the Bing data but I can't figure out how to actually access the data in Global Mapper 13. I normally use NAIP data for my background but they only have 1m resolution. The Bing maps seem to be about 1ft in my area. Is there a way for me to access the Bing aerial photo data in Global Mapper?

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2013
    If you switch to Global Energy Mapper there is a Bing Maps Hybrid source provided from our partner, Spatial Energy. The switch is a free "side-grade", just contact gmorders@bluemarblegeo.com and they can switch you over. You would likely have to move to v14 though. You can download and install the latest Global Energy Mapper release from http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/global-energy-mapper-download.php and get a trial first if you would like.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/global-mapper.php
  • teffinger
    teffinger Global Mapper User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.
  • joebocop
    joebocop Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited January 2014
    Is switching to Global Energy Mapper still the only way to access Bing/Google Maps imagery? I understand there may be legal ramifications for GlobalMapper that do not exist for Manifold, QGIS, etc, but is there no free way to add such imagery into GlobalMapper (v15.1)?
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2014
    It is possible to add those as streaming online sources, assuming of course that you have the appropriate permissions from Google/Bing and obey their Terms of Service. If that is the case, you can use the 'Add Sources from File' button with the attached file to get those sources added for your usage in compliance with their terms.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • joebocop
    joebocop Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited January 2014
    Thank you very much.
  • sof1ane
    sof1ane Global Mapper User
    edited November 2014
    Thx Bro for file
  • Martin73
    Martin73 Global Mapper User
    edited January 2015
    gracias amigo
  • colkhoy
    colkhoy Global Mapper User
    edited April 2015
    thanks for the your help, Can you support me with how the bing_and_google_maps_sources.xml is working? Where i should add this file?
  • colkhoy
    colkhoy Global Mapper User
    edited April 2015
    Great One. thank you so much.
  • abc123456789
    abc123456789 Global Mapper User
    edited May 2015
    Nice one. Thank you very much.
  • BillB
    BillB Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited June 2015
    Hi folks

the XML file no longer appears to work. Attempting to a "Add sources from file" in the Data Sources dialog, results in an error box:

global Mapper v16.2.2 (b061915)
    ! Unable to add any sources from file.

Can this be fixed? It was a very useful resource!

thanks

Bill

Edit: apologies, just played with the download some more and got it working - I seemed to get a strange XML file to start with, then the correct one, not sure why. But it is working again, thank you.
  • taterjoel
    taterjoel Global Mapper User
    I know this topic is very old, but I am having trouble loading the Google Maps imagery layer - Global Mapper freezes and crashes, but not when I add the Google Maps Hybrid layer.  Any ideas?
  • Having the exact same issue as taterjoel, anyone get this workingÉ
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Using Global Mapper 17.1, I was not able to download the Google Maps Imagery layer, but Global Mapper did not crash -- I got an error message indicating status code 404 (connection made but data not found).  Perhaps the version of Global Mapper you are using is not handling the error message properly.  

The Google Maps Hybrid layer downloaded successfully.
  • abc123456789
    abc123456789 Global Mapper User
    It is version sensitive, for me it only works on version 15.2 and not 13.2. Maybe this is the case for newer versions too. If you have or can get version 15, perhaps load google or bing maps on that and export a geotiff of the required area to import this into the newer version. While google/bing maps are loaded it, slows the system down considerably whereas a geotiff won't too :-) 
  • Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    This post addresses "slows the system down considerably" comments.  Hopefully, for most users this will be "preaching to the choir".  So this is for everyone else!

The speed of Global Mapper is very dependent upon the source of each loaded layer.  Internet sources will be much slower than local sources.  Every time your screen needs to be refreshed, one or more layers are reloaded and this process can really slow down the refresh.  Ideally, every computer has large solid-state drives, and you can save each layer to local files.  (we wish!!)

So, any opportunity that you have to export a layer to a local file, do it.  Then you can load the local file and unload the slow non-local layer.  

Exporting from on-line sources, especially raster data, requires that users be familiar with the options available on the export option dialogs in Global Mapper.  The default resolution is likely to be the maximum available from the source, and you should enter values that are better suited to your project.  Larger values will result in smaller files.  

Also, the default setting in Global Mapper (on the Export Bounds tab) is to export "All Loaded Data", and this can result in (unsuccessful) attempts to export the entire world.  So you should use the options that allow you to select the area required for your project.  One way is to zoom to a level that includes all of your project area, then export your data using the "All Data Visible On Screen" selection.  Another way is to use the "Draw a Box" button.  Or, specify the coordinates for your bounds.  

Converting data from on-line sources to local files will reduce the time required to refresh your screen.  Also, local files can be shared much more easily with other users, whether they also use Global Mapper or some other program.  One of my main functions is to accumulate data from a variety of sources for use by local users.  That includes conversion of data formats / datum / projection / resolution / whatever.  

Some data sources may not allow exports, so your options are limited. 

• Mungo T
    Mungo T Global Mapper User Trusted User
    bmg_bob I have the same problem!!
  • Do someone know of a similar xml file for the Google terrain map?
  • geomannie
    geomannie Global Mapper User Trusted User
    I can't help with the Google terrain map but Opentopomap is a pretty good alternative. XML (zipped) attached. Maybe this works for you?

Cheers
  • BillB
    BillB Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Hi folks, I have had the same issue with Google Imagery not linking for a while.  Finally tracked it down to a bad/outdated URL in the XML file.  You can change it directly by editing and importing the above linked source file, or if you have already installed the links, try editing
    C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Local\GlobalMapper\user_online_sources.xml in say Notepad++

URLs I have found to work as at Jan 2019:
    Google Maps Hybrid = https://mt.google.com/vt/lyrs=y
    Google Maps Street Maps = https://mt.google.com/vt/lyrs=m@140

Re-start GM to see any changes.

Note, this is not officially supported by Blue Marble (it's just an add-on capability) and all data is subject to licence agreements.