Global Mapper v25.0

Importing XVOD

Dear Forum,

I'm a novice to GM and trying to import and create a worldwide XVOD database/catalogue to overlay on the existing DTED data I already have (successfully) imported.

However when I try to Create a New Map Catalog and Add Directory to add all files in folders and subfolders, GM requests me to select the Overlay Type (from a large list) as the type "could not be determined from the filename".  

Can somebody help me establish what type I ought to select? I have attached a sample XVOD file in case it helps.  I have tried selecting (randomly) different file types and although GM performs some process it seems to fall down at the end.

Can anybody advise? 

Answers

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    What is an XVOD database?  I don't see an attachment on your post.
  • Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply. 

Firstly after writing the message, I tried to attached a sample file however when I selected the "Attach image/file" icon I only have the option to add an "Image URL". Perhaps you can advise how I ought to add a file? The sample filesize is just over 3MB.

Regarding XVOD I made the (silly) assumption that it was a known format. However XVOD (XML Vertical Obstruction Data) is specific to the Military. . 

Here is an extract from a supporting document explaining further:

"XVOD was initially designed by the UK Defence Geographic Centre (DGC) in response to a request from Industry for an XML format to store obstacles world wide where known for Mission Planning and Avionics systems. The XVOD XML syntax is described in various associated XSD files.  To some extent, these specify the content of XVOD. 

The XVOD data is split into 64 800 individual 1° x 1° tiles along whole lines of latitude and longitude of the latest formulation of the WGS 84 datum and ellipsoid, with each tile contained with its own file.  

XVOD data and metadata is always stored in a series of subfolders within a main folder called XVOD.  When distributed by DGC, the XVOD folder is placed in the root of the filesystem on the distribution media and contains a log file detailing the number of point and line obstacles in each file and whether each file passed XML Schema validation. 

The complete set of XML schemas for XVOD is distributed on every dataset in a folder called Schemas.  The Schemas folder is placed in the root of the filesystem on the media uncompressed, alongside the XVOD folder. Any system designed to use XVOD data must be designed to accept data in the tiled format."

Mike 

• bmg_bob
    Under the text box where you type your comment there is a link that says "Attach a File".

Global Mapper does not currently support importing of XVOD files.  Do you happen to know if there is an existing SDK for importing XVOD files?
  • That's a pity. I can't see any mention of an sdk anywhere. 

Still can't see any link to attach a file apart from the "Attach image/file" icon I mentioned, also nest to (above) the text box where I input the message. Selecting this icon however asks for "Image URL".  Cannot see what i am doing wrong.
  • bmg_bob
    @PaulTocknell runs the forum.  It might be worth it to send him a private message or e-mail (paul@globalmapperforum.com) to see if he can determine why you don't have the "Attach a File" link.  It may have something to do with the fact that you are a new user.
  • Hi Bob, 

File attachment problem finally solved.

See attached example file as promised. I would really appreciate any help/advice you can offer!
  • bmg_bob
    Thank you for the sample file.

I have added feature request #16270 to our task list so we can evaluate implementation of this functionality in a future version of Global Mapper.  We will post a message to this thread when the status of the feature request changes.
  • Ok great. Thanks Bob. We have a vast database of data XVOD in this format that not only we, but many aircraft operators around the world use, so implementing this feature would be invaluable to both Blue Marble and such operators alike.