Global Mapper v25.0

Search by length

Syrett
Syrett Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited April 2013 in Vector Data
I'm trying to search for streets that are equal to, or longer than, 1 mile. I have lengths as attributes, but when I try to use Search by Attributes, all the features end up being selected. This happens whether I enter "5280 ft" or "1 mile". Am I missing a step somewhere? Thanks!

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2013
    What value are you putting in for the search and do you have it set to search numerically or alphabetically? What you probably want to do is first right-click in the Measure Tool and set to either always use the base units or the large units (feet or miles), then select all of your features with the Digitizer Tool, then right-click and choose the Attribute submenu command to add measure attributes. Then you will have LENGTH attributes either all in feet or all in miles so a single numeric search should net what you are after.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/
  • tjhb
    tjhb Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2013
    C,

Are you first pressing the NEW SEARCH button, and then the Select All button?

T
  • Syrett
    Syrett Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks Mike, that worked. Now I'm trying to find a way to copy/paste the selected lines into a new overlay. I found an old Forum reference to creating a new overlay using the digitizer tool in GM10, but for the life of me I can't find anything like that in he GM13 digitizer tool dialog. And no intuitively obvious "Create new overlay" in the Overlay Control Center either. How do I do this? Thanks!!
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2013
    You can edit the lines with the Digitizer Tool and the edit dialog has a layer selection. One of the options is to create a new layer there. If you want to copy and not move the features, use Ctrl+C to copy to the clipboard then Ctrl+V to paste them in. If your version is new enough (v13.2 I think, but might have been v14) when you paste you should get a dialog asking you where to put the pasted features, such as in a new layer.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/