Global Mapper v25.0

The DIY Height Data Thred

beginner
beginner Global Mapper User
edited September 2011 in Elevation Data
Currently I am paying a small fortune for heighdata/surface model (.asc) in the UK, is there a way of obtaining your own data in an affordable way?

I am in the process of building a model helicopter so I can capture my own aerial shots, but can someone give me some idea of the logistics and costs involved in getting height data this way too?
Or do I need some billion dollar GVT scanner/satellite to make this happen and thus have to remain at the mercy of greedy datasellers?

As i said above I pay for 2m accurate Surface models but this is adding up so much its becoming cheaper for me to physically study the photo and manipulate a polygonal landscape by hand which takes ages.

I know about bump maps, specular, dispalcement etc, so could these somehow be manipulated and then exagerated or something, as the diffuse+bump does give some depth, but its very subtle.

Thanks for any info.

At present I have a nice workfloc, import .asc, export to DEM then I map the imagery and in next to no time I have something decent, which I can edit further by exporting to 3D app + rendering+Animation etc.

I just want to lower costs and the achillies heel is the heightdata, if I do it by hand it takes ages, if I take the quick route there is so little profit and the market I am trying to grow is not interested.

Catch 22.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2011
    If 5m data will work you could use www.intermap.com. While not cheap, it is likely much cheaper that some of the other sources of higher resolution terrain that is out there. For better than that you either have to pay to have Lidar data acquired yourself or purchase it from an existing vendor.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com