Global Mapper v25.0

Google export limits of layers and/or zooms, improvment or bug?

DC Kelley
DC Kelley Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited July 2011 in Suggestion Box
Mike had told me before (when asking how to control exports)
The All Data Visible On Screen option should only be disabled if all of the loaded data already
fits in the on-screen window. Are you seeing it disabled when you have some enabled layers not
entirely on the screen?
And while this is completely correct, the behavior is not 100% what is wanted or needed.

When you are zoomed in on the small bit of a map you then care about, the Data Visible On Screen option is in fact gone if that is all there is, so you then get the default All Loaded Data button - these are not the same and that is the problem.

The first use is presumably intended to clip the export region to the screen (which in fact it does for some zoom level - but not for others, perhaps a minor bug to my thinking).

But if you are forced to use the second you will get not only all the data you have in view AS WELL AS ALL OTHER LOADED LAYERS IN THE WORKSPACE. Not the same, in the case of editing work for Google overlays you end up various base map layers getting exported as well, unless you 'damage' your workspace by deleting them before the export. Perhaps there is a way to control this with the 'Control Center' but I have yet to find it.

I suggest either: a) remove the logic that determines all objects are in view and then disables the radio button, inadvertently causing other non visible layers to be exported or b) (perhaps even better) mod the control center to have one check box for "display" and another for "export" to allow the user to set up a preferred defaults.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2011
    Are the other layers in your workspace unchecked in the Control Center? I would not expect them to show up in any export if they are unchecked for display in the Control Center.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • DC Kelley
    DC Kelley Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited July 2011
    Opps. Testing once more to be sure, I am mistaken, the "undisplayed" layers are not being exported. I has become confused when I saw the "gray mist" layer from the 45 degree Goggle issue and thought the base JPG was in there yet again. This specific testing street is right on the edge on if their test locations, so I see half 'gray' half not at some zooms. Your tool is operating correctly, but perhaps the text label could be better ("All checked layers"?). Thanks for your tolerance as I keep learning this tool.