Global Mapper v25.0

major and minor contour line generation

mapp
mapp Global Mapper User
edited April 2011 in Technical Support
Hello--

I'm looking to be able to generate a set of contour lines from a DEM that have different appearances for major and minor contour lines. Lets say I want major contours every 5 minor contours. Is this possible? I don't see any options in the "Generate Contours" dialog to do something like that.

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2011
    There is an advanced way to do this. You need to run 'regedit' and create DWORD values named 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Global Mapper\ContourInterval_Minor' and 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Global Mapper\ContourInterval_Major' that specify the minor and major contour interval multipliers. The default values are 5 and 10.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mapp
    mapp Global Mapper User
    edited April 2011
    There is an advanced way to do this. You need to run 'regedit' and create DWORD values named 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Global Mapper\ContourInterval_Minor' and 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Global Mapper\ContourInterval_Major' that specify the minor and major contour interval multipliers. The default values are 5 and 10.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Should these be decimal or hex DWORDs?

Thanks
  • mapp
    mapp Global Mapper User
    edited April 2011
    Also I would like to know why it appears that contours greater than 10 meters don't get the major-minor interval distinction. Is that how it's supposed to be?
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2011
    Hex or decimal is just how you specify the value, it doesn't change the type.You likely will want decimal.

The value of the contour shouldn't matter, just the multiplier. So if you set the major interval to 5 and your base contour interval for generating the contours is 10 meters, you would get major contours at 50 m, 100m, 150m, etc (i.e. every multiple of 50).

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com