Global Mapper v25.0

Exporting vectors + images to Corel Draw

seb3343
seb3343 Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited January 2011 in Vector Data
Hello,

I have a global mapper file with satellite images and user-created vector features.
I would like to export these images + vectors to use them in corel draw. I want to be able to modify the vectors so I am looking for a format other than jpg. What do you recommend?
Thank you
Sebastien

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2011
    Sebastien,

Does Corel Draw support PDF files? If so the File->Export PDF command will export both your rasters and vectors and keep the vectors so they can be edited. Otherwise I believe that Corel supports DXF so you could export your vectors to a DXF file and separately export your rasters to a JPG or similar format.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • seb3343
    seb3343 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited January 2011
    Thank you for your suggestions, Mike.
    Corel Draw generally accepts pdf files but for some reason when I try to open a pdf file created from Global Mapper, I get a msg saying that the file is corrupt.
    DXF works but the problem is that I need to precisely superimpose the DXF (vector) file on the jpeg image in Corel Draw, which is complicated and which seems stupid because the vectors and image were perfectly superimposed in GM.
    An alternative, although not ideal, solution that I found is (1) export everything as pdf + the image in jpeg, using the same export bounds; (2) open the pdf in adobe illustrator and save it as an *.ai file, (3) open the *.ai file in corel draw and replace the image - which appears black - by the jpeg.
    Other more straightforward suggestions are very welcome!
    Thanks,
    Sebastien
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2011
    Sebastien,

Hmmm I'm not sure why Corel Draw doesn't like a PDF from Global Mapper, especially if Adobe Illustrator likes it. Must be a bug in Corel Draw.

I'm afraid I can't think of a more straightforward solution since Corel Draw can't directly accept PDFs or use geo-positioning information.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • seb3343
    seb3343 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited January 2011
    Hello again,

I looked into this a bit more and it looks like Corel Draw opens the pdf files containing vectors and SRTM images perfectly. The only problem is when the pdf contains jpeg or tiff images. My new alternative solution is therefore to export (1) vectors + SRTM in pdf and (2) jpeg with the same limits and replace the SRTM image by the jpeg in corel draw.

Sebastien