Global Mapper v25.0

Is it possible to change the bit rate setting of my GPS input connection???

mramend
mramend Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited October 2010 in GPS Features
Hi there-

We have a GPS receiver that is hard-wired to output at 7-bit, no parity, 1 stop bit; 9600 bps. I don't see any options in GM (we have version 11 running) to change the bit rate.

Is it possible to change the bit rate at all in GM??

Thanks for any ideas..
Mark

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited October 2010
    Mark,

You can change the baud rate on the GPS Setup dialog to be 9600 when using a serial port connection.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mramend
    mramend Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited October 2010
    Thanks Mike, but I was referring to the number of bits. Usually GPS units are set to 8 bits, but this one is at 7. Changing the bit settings in the COM port settings doesn't affect things. If I watch in hyperterminal using 7-bits, I see the data. It's $GNGGA at 1Hz.
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2010
    Mark,

Ah sorry, didn't notice that, I wonder why the GPS receiver uses 7 bits, I've never seen that in a commercial GPS device.

Are you comfortable in the registry? I could probably add a registry setting for this pretty easy, but I don't know if I want to add a new user interface setting for this that might cause confusion just for one GPS device.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mramend
    edited October 2010
    Yep, comfortable with RegEdit, ya. It's a CNAV 3050 we're trying out. I'm wondering why 7 as well, since, well..no one else does it!!
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2010
    I have completed adding support for a new registry key to allow 7-bit connections. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v12.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v12 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper12_64bit.zip .

Here is the documentation for the new feature:

By default GPS serial connections use 8-bit, no parity, and 1 stop bit (8N1), but if you have one of the rare units that uses 7-bit rather than 8-bit data streams, there is a way to set that. You need to run 'regedit' and create a DWORD key named 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Global Mapper\GPS_ByteSize' with a value of 7 (do this with Global Mapper closed), then your serial connections will use 7-bit mode rather than 8-bit mode.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • mramend
    edited October 2010
    Thanks, Mike! Awesome!!