Global Mapper v25.0

opening a .gmg: unable to load header information

marcopoldo
marcopoldo Global Mapper User
edited September 2010 in How I use Global Mapper
Hi,
I am just started working with GlobalMapper and I have some problems loading my data.

The data are relative to a GPS drived installation of a wineyard. The guy gaves me 2 files, a .gmg and a .txt
the .txt doeas have a bunch of information and coordinates from which I should be able to built the structure of the wineyard, but it sounds to be a long job.

I tried to load the .gmg, but whatever overlay type I select I have an error (often it is "unable to load header information").

The .gmg appears to be a Global Mappare Grid File (since its extension), but that overlay type is not working neither.

What am I doing wrong? Should I miss some other necessary files?
Thanks in advance,

Marco

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2010
    Marco,

I'm guessing that the .gmg file is actually something else entirely. If it was a valid Global Mapper Grid file you wouldn't be asked about the file type. However if you want to post the .gmg file here or email it to support@globalmapper.com I would be happy to take a look for you and see what it is.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • marcopoldo
    marcopoldo Global Mapper User
    edited September 2010
    Hi Mike,

thanks a lot for the reply and the disponibility.

Here there are the 2 files i am talking about. Please have a look and I hope you'll figure out something better than I do.

Let me know, thanks again,

Marco

Archivio.zip
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2010
    Marco,

I don't know what the .gmg file is, but it's definitely not a Global Mapper Grid file. You would need to check with the data provider to see what the file actually is.

For the .txt file, with a little bit of massaging you could directly import the lat/lon coordinates at the top of the file if that helps. Just use commas or tabs to separate the fields at the top of the file so that the complete lat and lon values are in a single field by themselves, then you can load it with the File->Open Generic ASCII Text File menu command.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com