Global Mapper v25.0

3d model from lidar xyz data

krabill
krabill Global Mapper User
edited October 2011 in Elevation Data
Hello, first time posting.

I have xyz (lat, lon, elevation) ascii files created from lidar data. My final goal would be to create a 3d image such as the one you can view in 3d in global mapper and place this as a model in google earth (elevation above sea level or terrain is fine). Our lidar data are from sea ice and glacier calving fronts in Greenland and Antarctica. The typical ascii files are around 30-40mb in size. They display when exported to kml/kmz in the web export section and they look good, but are not 3d. What are my options for 3d modeling with this data Global Mapper and Google Earth?

I have tried importing into sketchup, and even the smallest amount of data points seem to crash it. Also tried blender with minimal success.

Sample data

-62.35081|-65.330714|98.743
-62.350698|-65.330743|100.123
-62.35059|-65.330785|103.223
-62.350483|-65.330816|104.454
-62.350374|-65.330833|102.992

Attached is a very small portion of one of our data files show the calving front of a glacier. Can anybody do some cool stuff with this? Im ready to learn, thanks!

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2010
    The raster KML/KMZ export for Global Mapper will just export a rendered picture of the data, it won't update the terrain in Google Earth itself (not sure if there is even a way to do that).

What you can do is load your Lidar data as 'Point Only', then use the File->Export Vector->Export KML/KMZ menu command to export a vector KML file with your 3D points floating in space in Google Earth. Perhaps that will work for you?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • krabill
    edited August 2010
    Hi Mike,

When I load as a points, then export vector to kml the only thing I have been able to get is a wireframe type model that sits above the terrain on GE, the positioning is perfect and the 3d of the model is truly 3d at that point, but it does not look like a solid model that Global mapper shows (in the raster version of the data) I would love for it to show a solid, colored by elevation model.

Also when imported as points it does not color with a shader, is this correct?
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2010
    What I would suggest is exporting your 3D point data to a Lidar LAS file, then you can load that back into Global Mapper as a point cloud and get 3D points colored with an elevation shader. You can then export that to a vector KML/KMZ file and get the points colored like the terrain in Global Mapper.

I did notice a problem with this (i.e the colors were being lost) when I just tried this, so I fixed that and made a new build of Global Mapper 11 for you to try. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v11.xx installation folder to give it a try. If you are using the 64-bit v11 version there is a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper11_64bit.zip .

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • krabill
    edited August 2010
    Mike, thanks for the new build and the tips, I have it close to working.

Right now when I create the kml it shows red X's for each point when displayed in GE.

The kml file looks like it sets styles. But I cannot find the .png to which it refers on my local computer anywhere. A google search has not found this file either. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for all the help so far!!

Sample of the KML file
    <!-- Begin Style Definitions -->
    <Style id="point1">
    <IconStyle><Icon>kml_ext_files\kml_symbol_elevation shaded.png</Icon></IconStyle>

(note there is not really a space before the n in elevation, I tried to edit it out of this post but the space wants to stick, there is a space after the n however)
  • global_mapper
    edited August 2010
    Did you get the new v11 build that was posted? I would have expected filenames like you have listed, but with another underscore and a number after the 'kml_symbol_elevation_shaded'. Also, can you try exporting to a KMZ file instead of a KML and see if that works better? That is what I was testing yesterday.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • rohitbaluni
    rohitbaluni Global Mapper User
    edited September 2011
    global mapper_show.jpggoogle_earth_output.jpg

http://www.gigasize.com/get/6wdgf6bclvd

Hi Mike,
    The data in the above mentioned link is in .dwg & .xyz format, in auto cad it opens in 3D (Autocad_show.gif), but when i open it in global mapper it is opened in 2D form (global mapper_show.gif). Is there any way so that the data in .xyz format can be opened in 3D form in global mapper software, so that i can export it to google earth as 3D model.

BR//
    Rohit Baluni
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2011
    Rohit,

If you press the 3D button in Global Mapper do you see a 3D-representation of the data? You should be able to view 3D vector data in the 3D viewer of Global Mapper.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • rohitbaluni
    edited September 2011
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for your quick reply. I have already tried with the 3D viewer of global mapper,but the *.xyz data is of a telecom tower and the output from that point data in global mapper does not look like a tower(second part of the image). I want that the 3D model should look like a telecom tower as shown in the 3rd part of the image.

SnapShot.jpg

BR//
    Rohit Baluni
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2011
    Rohit,

What version of Global Mapper are you using? If you go to the 3D options dialog in the 3D viewer do you have the option checked to display 3D vector data?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • rohitbaluni
    edited September 2011
    Hi Mike,
    I am using version 10.1 of global mapper, there is no such option as you mentioned. can it be possible to get isometric view from the *.xyz data??

Thanks,

Rohit
  • global_mapper
    edited September 2011
    Rohit,

The option to view vector data in 3D wasn't added until v11.01, so you would have to upgrade to a later version to have that capability in Global Mapper.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • rohitbaluni
    edited October 2011
    I have sent this *.xyz data to one of my friends who has global mapper version 12.0, but he is also saying that there is no such option in 3D viewer. I can send you the sample data, kindly send me the isometric view of the point data in kml / kmz format, if it is possible with any version of global mapper then only i can talk with the management for upgrading the older version.
    Kindly download the sample data at following link: http://www.gigasize.com/get/6wdgf6bclvd

Thanks

Rohit Baluni
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2011
    Rohit,

Can you send the file another way? The Gigabit site requires installation of some 'Download Manager' .exe file and I'm really not trusting that site enough to run an executable from them. It is only 6MB, so just post here or email to support@globalmapper.com.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com