Global Mapper v25.0

Exporting 2 different levels of detail

global_noobie
global_noobie Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited July 2010 in Elevation Data
Ok, thanks to this forum I'm finally get through my little list of things to do.

My latest question(s) is....

Is it possible to export multiple levels of detail in the elevation data as a .dem?

Currently I am doing a coastal scene and I paid for 2m elevation data, I have obtained the surrounding data for nothing, but its considerably less accurate, but because its for only distance vieweing it should suffice.

Now, when I load the free elevation data, I simply open up the detailed (2m) version and sure enough it plonks itself pretty much where its supposed to be.

So in Global mapper it all looks good, the bit that I am focusing on looks relatively detailed and the stuff in the background looks less so.

When I export this as a .dem and look at it in 3D, it seems to have lost its detail, or maybe the big/free/less accurate data is simple overlapping the detailed one due to less vertices/sub divisions or whatever it is.

When I export I set them both as 2M, I think it was 50 at default for the data, no matter which way round I do it.

Any ideas?

Also, if it is a simple case of overlapping, how can I increase the Y axis (UP) of the elevation data up a notch so I can simply cheat as I think cutting it will be not be as accurate.

Thanks again for any help or insight. Export format has to be .DEM.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2010
    You just need to make sure to load your lower detailed data first, then load the higher detailed data on top of it. When you export to a new DEM the elevation data from the topmost layer will be used, so if your higher detailed data is on top it will be used for those locations where it is available. Basically it is WYSIWIG (what you see is what you get) for exports.

You can also re-order layers after loading them in the Control Center. The layers are drawn in the order listed, so the layer on bottom of the draw stack will be the first layer in the Control Center list.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com