Global Mapper v25.0

coordinate out of range (when crossing 180° longitude)

Jake
Jake Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited July 2010 in Vector Data
I downloaded the 3nm limit for Alaska (3nmline_AK.shp extracted from zip) and opened it. GM reports "coordinate out of range" if I cursor East of 180° longitude.

Here is the file. It is GEO/WGS84.

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/csdl/docs/GIS_MB_AK.zip

I changed the "automatically wrap lat/long values" option but no joy. Any ideas before I contact NOAA?

I can't ignore this message either since the display starts to go wonky when zooming. Lines disappear (if I change the projection to Lambert or Polar Sterographic).

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2010
    If you go to the Projection tab of the Configuration dialog and set the Central Meridian for the Geographic projection to -180, then does the data display properly for you?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Jake
    Jake Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited July 2010
    Yes that fixed this file and 4 others. Thanks. I considered doing that myself but thought it would put everything out of phase by 180°. Can't say I understand why that worked (redefining the prime meridian that is). It still does not export to KMZ properly (missing lines) but I will save that issue for later.
  • Jake
    edited July 2010
    I am still having trouble when I zoom and pan this file and others in the same area. The lines appear then disappear if I pan slightly. Or zoom a bit. Also exports result in lines missing. Try it for yourself. I am working in Polar Stereographic. Central Meridian 140°W, Scaling Latitude 75°N.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2010
    In this case you need to correct the native projection of the loaded layers to account for the longitudes going from 0 to 360 rather than -180 to +180. You can do this by selecting the layers in the Control Center, pressing Options, then going to the Projection tab and setting the Central Meridian for the Geographic (lat/lon) projection to +180. This will make the expected valid longitude range 0-360 like the data is using.

Once I do that, the data reprojects to Polar Stereographic without any issues for me.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Jake
    edited July 2010
    Thanks. That fixed the problem. I did have to do each one individually as a group select only modified the first one.