Global Mapper v25.0

Ungraceful handling of workspace file containing invalid paths

tjhb
tjhb Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited March 2010 in Technical Support
If I save a workspace, then change the name of a source folder or move the files, then attempt to reload the workspace, Global Mapper behaves a little bit strangely.

It throws an error of the right sort, about the first invalid path.

Then it seems to attempt to load the other files, without throwing further errors. (Which is good in a way, because I don't have to respond 7,000 times to 7,000 invalid paths.—This is a workspace with about 7,000 shapefiles specified.)

After some seconds, a Global Mapper program bar appears mid-screen, with no window beneath it.

When the "X" at the right hand side of the program bar is clicked, the bar disappears and is replaces by an empty GM GUI.

What I think would be better is if the first invalid path (or other error) threw a dialog telling me the error and asking if the script to load the workspace should be halted, or whether GM should attempt to continue.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited March 2010
    The way the workspace load should work with missing paths is to ask you about the missing path for the first file. If you specify one it will be used for that file and the later files if they are found with that path. If a later file still isn't found you should be asked for that one. If you cancel selecting a new path for the first missing file then no further attempts to ask the user for missing files will be done, instead all missing files will just be skipped and generate an error message when the load is complete.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • tjhb
    tjhb Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2010
    I'll try it again and show you a screenshot.