Global Mapper v25.0

Support for RTL text (Arabic) - GM v10.xx + Win7

andyeder
andyeder Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited February 2010 in Technical Support
Hi all,

I am using Global Mapper v10.xx on Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit). I have been given a data set containing placenames in Arabic but these do not display correctly when presented in Global Mapper...

Does anyone know how to enable the correct display of Arabic language strings for the above setup?

Many thanks,
Andy

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited February 2010
    Andy,

You need to edit the fonts for the types/features that you are displaying in Global Mapper to use the script type Arabic in order for Arabic text to appear.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • andyeder
    andyeder Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited February 2010
    Andy,

You need to edit the fonts for the types/features that you are displaying in Global Mapper to use the script type Arabic in order for Arabic text to appear.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com

Hi Mike,

I've been through the various fonts I have available that contain support for the Arabic character set and still no luck. However, I am now questioning the validity of the Arabic strings I've received... I have a feeling that is where the likely issue is.

Thanks for your reply/help - always appreciated,
    Andy
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited February 2010
    Andy,

Is it possible that your Arabic text is Unicode? If so it won't display in Global Mapper as there is not currently any support for displaying Unicode text.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • andyeder
    andyeder Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited February 2010
    Is it possible that your Arabic text is Unicode? If so it won't display in Global Mapper as there is not currently any support for displaying Unicode text.

Hi Mike,

You are absolutely correct - with further investigation I've found that the text is indeed encoded in Unicode. I am attempting to get those strings encoded in non-Unicode multibyte instead (as I believe this will resolve the issue).

Thank you,
    Andy