Global Mapper v25.0

White Space instead of Aerial Image on Open

emedley
emedley Global Mapper User
edited April 2013 in Technical Support
Greetings:

When I import some aerial image files all I see is white space, or an address label if that is what I used to search for data (like USGS DOQ) . Lats and Longs show fine in the ribbon at bottom of the window. The problem only occurs when I REALLY want to see the data!! I tried cahnging projections, but noi difference. Any Ideas, please?

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2009
    Which data source are you using and what location are you trying to pull in imagery for? Note that the USGS DOQ layer only covers the lower 48 states of the US.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmappersoftware.com
  • emedley
    edited December 2009
    Mike:

I tried Urban High Resolution Imagery for xxx K~ Street, Petaluma, CA (project is confidential so I am not writing actual address) - with address shows, as does co-ordinates and scale ribbon at bottom - rest of scree is white. OK _ so maybe the imagery does not exist for small CA town near San Francisco but layer shows up fine in the Command center and Metadata includes words ("Petaluma, California") in description. I just tried to open the data in a clean file with no other layers: same problem. Moving cursor changes the co-ords; scale legend bar changes OK etc...

Same problem when I try to import a County of Sonoma aerial image file:
    https://gis.sonoma-county.org/rasterarea.asp?pageid=37B (for image tile 147_cty which downloads as a zip file tagged with geographic info). OPenin ght esip file in GM10, I get white space. I can change coords to Cal State Plane Zone 3 NAD 83 (Which County GIS info package says is appropriate coord system) and still get white space. Metadata in Command Center shows all kinds info so assume something loaded OK.

Help needed!!

DOQ and DRG for same address work fine by the way.
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2009
    The UrbanArea layer from TerraServer-USA has very limited coverage, so it likely just doesn't have coverage in your area of interest. You might try the DigitalGlobe layer instead as it has high resolution coverage for pretty much the entire world. It should be at the top of the list, but due to the outage on globalmapper.com you might first need to download and install the latest installer from http://www.globalmappersoftware.com/global_mapper11_setup.exe to get that source back.

When I download and load the 147_cty.zip file in GM11 it loads and displays just fine for me, except it is CA State Plane zone II, not zone III.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
  • emedley
    edited December 2009
    I am using GM 10.02. So how do I get my DigitalGlobe (Premum content) option back? Re-install GM10? Is till have money in my DigitalGlobe account so don;t want to abandon the $$.

I tried changing to CA State Plane Zone 2 - no change. Still white space...

Pelse do not tell me the answer is to upgrade, yet again!!:)
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2009
    I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmappersoftware.com/global_mapper10.zip with the fix for getting the DigitalGlobe source back for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

For the CA State Plane data, make sure to unload everything else, then open the JPG file (or the .zip file directly) and specify the State Plane projection with the NAD83 datum, Zone 2, and US Survey Feet for the units and you should see the grayscale image. I'm guessing right now your view is set to some location that is not coincident with the data so you aren't seeing it without zooming out to where the image would be displayed.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
  • emedley
    edited December 2009
    Mike:

Both operations worked fine!! Thanks
  • dyno56ca
    dyno56ca Global Mapper User
    edited December 2009
    I am having the same problem in GM11 when trying to view any images in Canada
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2009
    What problem exactly are you having? Is your background showing up white with no image displayed or are you just having a problem with the imagery data sources not appearing?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
  • AdWatts
    AdWatts Global Mapper User
    edited April 2013
    Hello,
    I have uploaded some aerial data on Global Mapper from OSIP TIF data and two of the tiles are showing up white. Is there a way I can get them without having to download DigitalGlobe? I've tried everything and I'm at a loss.
    Thanks!
  • global_mapper
    edited April 2013
    Are the white tiles coming from an online source or did you download files from the server and load them directly? If you are getting white tiles from an online source try using the 'Delete Cached Files' button on the Online Source dialog to clear any locally cached files in case a bad tile came down.

If that doesn't work, maybe try one of the other sources under the Imagery group, like World Imagery or OpenAerial to see if that fills it in. Make sure you have the latest GM (v14.1.6) from Global Mapper Downloads to get all of the available built-in sources.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    gmsupport@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation