Global Mapper v25.0

NAme change

m_world@telus.net
m_world@telus.net Global Mapper User
edited July 2009 in Vector Data
I have a few more questions,

So in Global Mapper, I typed in names like John & Martha Smith in a shp file and exported them out as a GPX file. When I upoad this onto a GPS I see that the name would read "John &amp Martha Smith" The '&' symbol is supplied by amp so it reads "&amp" in the name, why is this?

Thanks for al your help,

-Vincent

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited July 2009
    Vincent,

What version of Global Mapper are you using? When I export a GPX file from features with an & in the name, the & stays there in the exported GPX file. If you look at your GPX file in a text editor, what does it look like there?

This could be an issue in whatever software is being used to transfer the GPX file to the GPS. Note that the '&' sign is replaced by the '&' escape sequence in HTML, so this is part of the likely explanation.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • m_world@telus.net
    edited July 2009
    I'm using version 10.0 in Global Mapper and I viewed my GPX file in Wordpad and the "&" appears fine, there's no "&amp" in the sequence.

But I am using Mapwel to export the GPx file into a GPS but I would'nt be sure how to change the HTML sequence to make it appear just just as "&". Do you how I can do this?

Thanks,

Vincent
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2009
    Vincent,

I'm not sure what Mapwel is doing to mess this up. Can you just change to use the text 'and' instead of "&"?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • m_world@telus.net
    edited July 2009
    That's the thing, I I have many, many names that are spotted all over my map that have the '&' appearing before exporting as a GPX in Global Mapper.

It's my last resort to change the & to 'ands' but I just dont know how to do that in Mapwel. But I'll search it.

I have one more question, unrelated, but is there a way to automatically view the information in the Attribute values in the Name field in Global Mapper?

Like for example if in the DESCRIPTOR was in the Attribute Name, and the Attribute value was NE Sec-31 Twp-018 Rge-03 Mer-5, is there a way to transfer the Attribute value information into the name field automatically? With several spaces at the same time?

Thanks,

Vincent
  • global_mapper
    edited July 2009
    Vincent,

In the Global Mapper v11 beta there is a Search->Search and Replace menu command that would easily allow you to find and replace the '&' with 'and'. You can get the v11 beta from GIS Software Download - Topographic Mapping Software - Mapping Software With GPS .

You can setup the display label to be based on any combination of attributes with some separator character. You can do this by opening the Control Center, selecting the layer, pressing Options, then setting up the labeling based on attributes.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com