Global Mapper v25.0

load line distance and azimuth from ascii file

DGriffith
DGriffith Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited June 2009 in Technical Support
I can load lines from an ascii file using coordinates, but is it possible to load lines from an ascii file using distance and azimuth or perhaps bearing?

The problem I am trying to solve involves property boundaries that are legally defined by distances and azimuths that are relative to astronomic north, but need to be displayed on maps using UTM coordinates. I was hoping to be able to enter a starting point in lat/long or UTM coordinates, list the property boundary from that point by distances and azimuths, then change the projection to the relevant UTM projection. In this case the distances would be in meters.

Thanks in advance,
David

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2009
    David,

You could use the distance/bearing/COGO line creation tool in the Digitizer Tool. With that you can left click for the start point (you can manually change as well if needed), then enter your distance/bearing/COGO values or even load them from a file to add the remaining points.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • DGriffith
    DGriffith Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited June 2009
    Thanks, I missed the "Save to file" and "Load from file" buttons. That did it.

A follow up question. Is there a way to add the coordinates of the start point to the beginning of the file so that it is not necessary to digitize it, then modify it to get the needed exact coordinates?

Thanks in advance.
    David
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited June 2009
    David,

There is not currently any way to add the start coordinate to the file, but this is something we can add for a future release.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • DGriffith
    DGriffith Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited June 2009
    Thanks Mike, for your prompt and helpful advice.

David