Global Mapper v25.0

Sorting Overlays

paulp575
paulp575 Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited December 2007 in Technical Support
I am currently creating a workspace that has a large number of overlays (88 topoquads; 88 DEMs in SDTS format; 88 DOQQs; plus a lot of shapefiles).

Is there a way to groups these? I am concurrently using another mapping program that does allow creating groups to mange the layers/overlays.

I do not want to export groups of overlays into one overlay and then import it back (as a single overlay) in as I need to be able to turn on/off individual overlays.

Thanks,

Paul

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2007
    Paul,

I would suggest creating a map catalog for each group using the File->Create New Map Catalog menu command. You can then just load those map catalogs and significantly reduce the item count in the Overlay Control Center and make it easier to manage them. This will also reduce memory requirements and load times.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • paulp575
    paulp575 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited December 2007
    Paul,

I would suggest creating a map catalog for each group using the File->Create New Map Catalog menu command. You can then just load those map catalogs and significantly reduce the item count in the Overlay Control Center and make it easier to manage them. This will also reduce memory requirements and load times.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately I think I have another related problem :confused: :

I created a map catalog and added only 6 files to see how it works. Now I want to add more files to that catalog. I can't see where to do that.

Thanks,

Paul
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2007
    Paul,

Just open the Overlay Control Center, select the map catalog, then press Options. This should bring up the dialog allowing you to add/remove files from the catalog.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • paulp575
    edited December 2007
    Paul,

Just open the Overlay Control Center, select the map catalog, then press Options. This should bring up the dialog allowing you to add/remove files from the catalog.

Yes, that does help manage all the layers.

However, I still can not turn individual files on or off.

For example, I may want to look at o48117b3. So for that area I have the 24k topoquad, the DEM, and the DOQQ. I may want to zoom in and look at certain features. Then may want to change from the topographic map to the DEM (to get the 3D view), and then change to the DOQQ to look at the forested areas.

Haven't found a way to do that. Did I miss clicking/unclicking on something?

Thanks,

Paul
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2007
    Paul,

You cannot currently turn individual files on and off in a map catalog. What I was suggesting was to make several map catalogs, one for the DOQQs, one for the DEMs, etc. Then you can turn entire map catalogs on and off in the Overlay Control Center. I assume that you just wanted to turn off all DOQs or all DEMs or all topos, and not just individual quads.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • paulp575
    edited December 2007
    Paul,

You cannot currently turn individual files on and off in a map catalog. What I was suggesting was to make several map catalogs, one for the DOQQs, one for the DEMs, etc. Then you can turn entire map catalogs on and off in the Overlay Control Center. I assume that you just wanted to turn off all DOQs or all DEMs or all topos, and not just individual quads.

OK, that's what I thought.

Would it be appropriate to request this be considered as an enhancement(?) to a future release - i.e., the ability to create groupings and then be able to turn on/off individual files within the various groupings? Or have this ability within the current map catalog system?

Thanks for all your help!

Paul
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2007
    Yes, this is something we can consider for a future release.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    Roger Edrinn Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited December 2007
    Mike,

I tried this and doesn't appear to work?!?

Details:
    I tried creating a map catalog of catalog files. For example contours, water, POI's etc. When I added my first catalog file, nothing was there. What am I missing?

Thanks
  • global_mapper
    edited December 2007
    You cannot create nested catalog files (i.e. you cannot add a catalog file to a catalog). You can only add actual data files to catalogs.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com