Global Mapper v25.0

Export Elevation Writing large amounts of unnessesary data

Nate
Nate Global Mapper User
edited May 2009 in Elevation Data
What I am trying to do is take in numerous elevation data files and export them as a single larger one. Due to the scale of the operation I need to do it in a batch process using a script to specify the specific boundaries for each export file.

My issue is that some of these border tiles stretch into Canada for which we have no data, but when the script goes to export the elevation for that region it will write "no data" values in for the part of the region outside the US instead of creating a smaller file. What I end up with is a 10GB gridfloat file that is mostly no data. Is there anything I am missing in the script that will reduce the size of these files?

GLOBAL_MAPPER_SCRIPT VERSION=1.00
UNLOAD_ALL

DIR_LOOP_START DIRECTORY="\\Amiens\Maps\Minnesota\Cut\Borders\Google Maps Zoom Level 6 Tiles" FILENAME_MASKS="*.shp" RECURSE_DIR=NO HIDDEN=YES
// IMPORT A SHAPE FILE
//IMPORT FILENAME="%FNAME_W_DIR%" HIDDEN=YES

EMBED_SCRIPT FILENAME="\\amiens\Maps\Scripts\Z6 NED Import Scripts\%FNAME_WO_EXT%.gms"

EXPORT_ELEVATION FILENAME="G:\Map Data\Cut MN Elevation\Z6_%FNAME_WO_EXT%.flt" TYPE=FLOATGRID ELEV_UNITS=METERS POLYGON_CROP_FILE="%FNAME_W_DIR%" OVERWRITE_EXISTING=NO FILL_GAPS=NO
UNLOAD_ALL

DIR_LOOP_END

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2009
    Unless you explicitly specify the bounds that you want to use the export will by default use the full bounds of the loaded data. So if that data specifies that it goes well into Canada, even if everything in Canada is marked as 'no data', the export will keep the original extents of the import data.

If possible you could cut your original data to the Canadian border, then your batch conversion would work properly.

Another option would be to use a compressed elevation format, like Global Mapper Grid, so while those large no-data areas would still be present they would take up hardly any space as they would compress away to almost nothing.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com