Global Mapper v25.0

Automated downloading of USGS imagery?

Newbie0
Newbie0 Global Mapper User
edited October 2009 in Downloading Imagery
Sorry if this is an extreme newbie question ...

Suppose I go to the USGS Seamless web site at The National Map Seamless Server Viewer and I want to download the Feb 2006 Color Orthoimagery for Austin, TX covering a box with LL corner at 30.3N, 97.8W and UR corner at 30.4N, 97.7W. (Around 23GB of imagery.) I could divide the area into about 10 smaller areas and use the Define Download Area by Coordinates button to request each of those, and (with the download size limit set to 250MB) download the whole box in 60 pieces. But that'd be sorta tedious. Does Global Mapper offer some automated way to download the data? If not, is there some easy way (maybe with a batch file or a simple VBscript or something similar) to automate the downloading (on a PC running WinXP and using Internet Explorer) that wouldn't require buying any additional software?

Thanks!

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2009
    There is a WMS server with some of the USGS UrbanArea data. If you use the File->Download Online Imagery menu command and add a new WMS source with the URL http://ims.cr.usgs.gov/servlet/com.esri.wms.Esrimap/USGS_EDC_Ortho_Urban (use the default service name of 'WMS'), you should get a list of available cities. I didn't see the 2006 Austin data, but there was some very high resolution (0.15 m) Austin data from 2003 that I tried out and it worked great.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • phxdwl
    phxdwl Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited June 2009
    i am attempting to connect to arizona image data
    instructions are at
    Arizona State Cartographer's Office

i get the list of data but whn i try and load it i receve an error. any help would be apprecated.
  • global_mapper
    edited June 2009
    I was able to get it to work through the WMS sources, but it is a bit tricky to set up. I've attached a screenshot of the settings I used.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • daver819
    daver819 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited October 2009
    I understand that Ag Leader downloads USDA color digital orthos. can this be added to global mapper WMS downloads?
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2009
    Do you know the WMS server address used by Ag Leader to get to the data?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • daver819
    edited October 2009
    I do not know the site, but Google earth is also using it right now for some areas.
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2009
    I'm guessing that Google Earth just has the entire data set locally and host the data themselves. I think there are some places where you can get various states via WMS, but I have yet to find a single site with all of the NAIP data available through a single WMS. If anyone finds that it would be great! Then it could be added as a built-in source in Global Mapper.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • daver819
    edited October 2009
    http://gis.apfo.usda.gov/naipcoverage/

This is the web site for their viewer.
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2009
    I'm not sure exactly how the USGS is hosting the data for their viewer. In their help they listed a URL for an ArcGIS server plugin, but that doesn't really help non-ESRI users. I couldn't find any mention of a WMS source for the consolidated data. All that I've been able to find is various WMS sources from different states for the NAIP, but nothing all in one place.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • daver819
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for checking it out anyway. I also asked a friend who uses Ag Leader. Hope to hear from him. I can get the data thru their geopspacial site, but it is county by county composites that take 20 minutes to download. The real problem with the downloads is that the files are so big that they are slow to redraw wne zooming in and out etc. I suppose I could clip what I need and export to a suitible format, but it would be great to be able to do a download.
  • daver819
    edited October 2009
    One collegue said he thought the Ag Leader data comes from soil data mart. Another said Google Earth. I am pretty sure neither is correct. Googl earth uses USDA data, not the other way around. The data is available at the USDA Geospacial Data Gateway and they say it is available by defining the area by latitude and longitude. One problem I see is that the site is passworded. The other problem is the exact location of the data.