Global Mapper v25.0

Problem with Feature Type when opening an MP file

Perry
Perry Global Mapper User
edited May 2009 in Technical Support
Hello,

I’m I’m using GM 10.02. When opening an MP file the GM Feature Type is “Unknown Point Feature” for many points. By looking in Search Vector Data it looks like all the points have values in the MP_TYPE field. The MP file was previously saved from GPSmapedit.

For example, in Search Vector Data:
MP_TYPE 0x6402 shows <Feature Type> and <Description> as Building
MP_TYPE 0x6616 shows <Feature Type> and <Description> as Summit
Which is what I would expect.

MP_TYPE 0x6412 shows <Feature Type> and <Description> as Unknown Point Feature; cGPSmapper manual description is Trail.
MP_TYPE 0x2F0B shows <Feature Type> and <Description> as Unknown Point Feature; cGPSmapper manual description is Parking.
MP_TYPE 0x660B shows <Feature Type> and <Description> as Unknown Point Feature; cGPSmapper manual description is Gap.
I did not expect these results.

Why do some points get assigned a <Feature Type> and <Description> based on the MP_TYPE, and others do not?

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited May 2009
    If there is a built-in Global Mapper type or a custom type with a matching default MP_TYPE value, then that type will automatically be assigned on load of a MP file. For the types you listed that load as 'Unknown Point Feature', there is not a corresponding built-in Global Mapper point type, so the default of 'Unknown Point Feature' is chosen.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Perry
    Perry Global Mapper User
    edited May 2009
    Thanks alot, that makes sense. The particluar map had lots of Unknown Point Features, so it did not occure to me that GM might not have matching feature types.