Global Mapper v25.0

Out of memory

Denise Elliott
Denise Elliott Global Mapper User
edited March 2009 in Technical Support
I am trying to export .xyz files (Lidar points) to an .xyz grid. One grid would contain more data than one individual original .xyz file. In other words, we are chunking the original data into larger chunks. We've found this can eliminate anomalies caused by seams. BUT when we try this we are getting this "Out of Memory" thing. Is this a Global Mapper restriction or are our machines not big enough?

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited March 2009
    You are likely hitting the Windows per-process memory limitation. What I would suggest is loading all of your .xyz point files, then select them all and right-click and select the option to generate an elevation grid from the loaded data. On that dialog, check the box to export directly to Global Mapper Grid files and also use the Gridding tab to break the export into smaller pieces, say a 3x3 grid. Global Mapper will then create 9 separate smaller grid files and export them directly to GMG files. Each grid generation will automatically use overlap to generate the grid, which should eliminate any seams.

You can then create a single XYZ grid file as output by loading the generated GMG files back into Global Mapper and then exporting them out to a single new file.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Denise Elliott
    Denise Elliott Global Mapper User
    edited March 2009
    Thanks. Is it possible to make "interpolate to fill small gaps" have a larger buffer zone?
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited March 2009
    It is not currently possible to control the maximum gap size considered when interpolating to fill small elevation gaps.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com