Global Mapper v25.0

Updating an outdated SHP file (missing IMAGERY details)

vsheremeti
vsheremeti Global Mapper User
edited March 2009 in Vector Data
Greetings from Kosovo.
I am trying to update my .SHP map details of Kosovo.
The problem I am having is that I don't know how to add a layer of IMAGERY for Kosovo region.

While digitalglobe FREE access works the resolution is terrible (I cannot even see the roads so I can draw a line or a polygon), is there another source of free and a good quality imagery available on web?

Can someone advice how to do this?

Thank you in advance

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited March 2009
    If the DigitalGlobe layer doesn't have any good imagery for your area (you are probably just getting the 15m EarthSat imagery, then you'll probably have to actually purchase imagery directly from an imagery provider, like GeoEye | Innovative Geospatial Products & Solutions Provider or DigitalGlobe | An Imagery and Information Company, as I'm not aware of any free providers of high resolution data for Kosovo.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • timhoman
    timhoman Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited March 2009
    Here is a brute force method of doing it with free tools and perhaps better imagery:

Using Google Earth.
    Zoom to Kosovo.
    Make sure that all layers are un-checked, especially terrain.
    Select the "add path" or "add polygon" tool to begin digitizing.
    A pop-up window appears - change "Name" to new value.
    On the imagery - Left mouse click to add vertices. Right click mouse to remove vertices.
    Click "OK" in the pop-up window when finished.
    A new item with the "Name"-value will appear under the Places area.
    In the Places area, Right mouse click and select "Save Place as..." to create a KML or KMZ file.
    Use GM to convert file to SHP format.
    Hope this helps.
    --
    Tim
  • vsheremeti
    edited March 2009
    Thank you guys for your help.

Tim, when I create polygons on Google Earth and I use the fill color (i.e. green) , this color doesn't show up when I import it to GM. Any advice how to make this happen so I don't have to edit polygons twice (in GE an GM)?

Many thanks

Valon
  • timhoman
    edited March 2009
    GM assigns color for lines and fills based on line types and area types.
    Chances are that your new polygons are being seen by GM as "Unknown Area Type".
    To change the way GM displays these areas requires you to do one of the following:

1. (this is more correct in the long term)
    Open "Overlay Center->Options".
    In the "Vector Options" box select the "Features Type" tab.
    Use the "Classify Unclassified Area Feature As" dropdown menu to select a feature type with preset colors and line types.
    This results in your polygon being assigned the correct classification.
    Unfortunately, you must do this for each polygon in the "Overlay Center".

or

2. (this is easier in the short term)
    Change the default settings for the way GM displays "Unknown Area Type".
    Go to "Tools->Configure..."
    In the "Configuration Panel" select the "Area Styles" tab.
    On the "Area Styles" tab, in the Area Style, slide the selection bar down until you find "Unknown Area Style"
    Left click on this Area Style.
    Modify the "Fill Pattern", "Border", and "Transparency" values and then select "Apply".
    Select OK.
    This should now be the default display setting for any new polygons (KMZ/KML) you open in GM that have "Unknown Area Type" for their type.

--
    Good luck,
    Tim
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    Valon,

Global Mapper should decode style information from KML/KMZ files and automatically apply it. If you can either post the KML file or email it to support@globalmapper.com I can take a look and see why it isn't coming in filled.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • vsheremeti
    edited March 2009
    Thanks a lot Tim. The problem I'm facing when I modify the "Fill Pattern", "Border", and "Transparency" values is that all polygons imported from GE appear in same color.

Mike, in this post I'm uploading two KMZ files. First one is on green color(parks) and the second one is on blue color(buildings). Hopefully I will be able to import the colors of polygons in GM.

Thank you guys for all your help. I really appreciate it

Valon
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    I took a look and found that the files used 'StyleMap' tags internally, which were not supported. I was able to add support so that now your styles come in automatically. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • timhoman
    edited March 2009
    Mike,

Thanks for the update. Unfortuantely, I am still using 9.x and will have to wait until the company opts for an upgrade - hopefully soon.

Tim
  • vsheremeti
    edited March 2009
    Thank you very much Mike. After updating the file I was able to successfully import the KML files.

Since I'm a beginner on this field, today I did some research on Google in order to be able to see some Google Earth JPEG files to Global Mapper. I realized there that I need to georeference those pictures prior to importing them to GM. Is there any recommended tool from your side which would help me do this?

MANY THANKS :)

Valon.
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    Valon,

You can geo-reference the images with Global Mapper. Just use the File->Rectify Imagery menu command or just load the JPG files and specify that you want to rectify them when prompted.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • vsheremeti
    edited March 2009
    Mike, I tried doing that but it didn't work for me. While I accurately created the points, I was still unable to see the picture. I even put that JPG file as a top layer but it was unvisitable to me. Thank you for your help. Valon
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    Valon,

What control points did you enter? Typically when a layer is not displayed it is because the projection for it was incorrectly chosen at load/rectify time and therefore it cannot be reprojected to whatever the current view projection is set to on the Projection tab of the Configuration dialog.

Can you perhaps show me a screen shot of your rectification dialog with the control points entered? You can bring the rectification dialog back up for a loaded layer by right-clicking on it in the Control Center and selecting the option to Modify the Layer Position.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • vsheremeti
    edited March 2009
    Thank you Mike,

please find attached the rectification dialog screen shot. Hopefully I am providing what you ask me.

Best regards,

Valon
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    Valon,

Your control points look reasonable, what lat/lon is your other data reading at when you move your cursor over it in the main window? Is it possible for you to save a workspace file after rectifying your data and then post that or email it to support@globalmapper.com so I can take a look?

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • vsheremeti
    edited March 2009
    Sure thing,
    Please find attached the workspace file and the JPEG attachment too.

Many thanks

valon.
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    Valon,

I took a look and discovered that your control points were the issue. You entered the latitude values in the X/longitude field and the longitude values in the Y/latitude fields. If you fix that it should display. However it looks like your lat/lon values are still incorrect as your X/longitudinal extent is way out of proportion to the Y/latitudinal extent. You need to check your control points to verify they are correct.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • vsheremeti
    edited March 2009
    Thank you Mike,
    I didn't pay attention to that :(

I did it right this time but no sign of projected picture - can you please look one more time on attached doc?

Many thanks

Valon
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    Valon,

This time your control points look correct. Do that lat/lon values that you are entering coincide with the data in the Shapefile that you already have open? If you press the Home button on the Toolbar after rectifying the JPG file does it then show up somewhere? If so that would mean that your rectified JPG file simply doesn't coincide with your view of the other data. If they should overlap that means one or both of them is incorrectly positioned.

If you can provide the Shapefile that you are loading I can take a look at it.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • vsheremeti
    edited March 2009
    Mike, thank you very much. I found a way around to address this issue in Google Earth.

But, now I'm facing another problem, if you could help I would appreciate:

Previously I was unable to import colors of polygons (.kml) from GE and you provided me with this file which fixed this issue:http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip
    Now, I want to export the KML files to .SHP file extensions and I do that using menu File/Export Vector Data/Export Shapefile...but when I open .SHP file, the colors of polygons are lost again.

Can you please advice how to proceed in this case?

Many thanks and best regards.
  • global_mapper
    edited March 2009
    Unlike KML, the Shapefile format does not have built-in support for styling, so that information is lost when you export to a Shapefile.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com