Global Mapper v25.0

Importing ArcGIS data with all context.

iskinner
iskinner Global Mapper User
edited February 2009 in Technical Support
I'm a web developer new to the world of GIS. We got a license for Global Mapper for its ability to easily export GIS data into Google Mapper tiles for use on our web site.

But I am unclear on how best to do this. Our cartographer has exported some shape files for me and I can easily open these with global mapper and create the Google tiles. But shape files do not have any contextual information about the lines, points and shapes that our cartographer has worked so hard to create in our custom maps.

What would be the best file format(s) for me to suggest to our cartographer to export the data from his ArcGIS 9.2 desktop with ArcView license so that all the data comes along with the symbology he has applied to it. That I could then import into Global Mapper and make a few hundred thousand tiles for the 2 million square miles of Northern Sierra Mountains

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited February 2009
    Really your only option for really maintaining full symbology and styling is to export your stylized Shapefiles from ArcGIS to a raster format, like GeoTIFF, then load that into Global Mapper. There really isn't a vector format that maintains full styling, as the styling capabilities of various formats vary, but there are some like KML that keep at least basic line and area styling.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com