Global Mapper v25.0

area fills

Shafer
Shafer Global Mapper User
edited January 2009 in Technical Support
any way to make the crosshatched lines thicker yet?

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2009
    In the v10.02 release you can create your own fill styles from image files, so you can make a new crosshatch style that looks however you want it to. I would recommend using a transparent PNG file as the input for the style so that you can see through to what is underneath.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Shafer
    edited January 2009
    how do you create an image file. I downloaded the new 10.02 update, but not sure what you mean...sorry, im not very smart
  • global_mapper
    edited January 2009
    You would create the image file in something like Photoshop or MS Paint (or just find an image online). You can then create the new custom fill style from it on the Area Styles tab of the Configuration dialog.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Shafer
    edited January 2009
    Finally got it going like I like. The only problem is that when ou zoom in or out (to print) the fill that I loaded doesnt change size (like the ones built into the program). any idea on how to fix this?

thanks for the update though!
  • global_mapper
    edited January 2009
    What do you mean when you say that the fill doesn't change size? I would expect the fill pattern to be the same number of pixels in size as the original image and just tile as needed to fill the area.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Shafer
    edited January 2009
    it is the same size no matter what and that is the problem. Your feature type fills look the same no matter if you zoom in or zoom out. The ones you create stay the same size, so when you zoom out they stay the same and do not look good.

For instance: I created one that is large yellow stripes. when zoomed in there may be 20 stripes across the tract. When you zoom out there may be only three. This is the problem.
  • global_mapper
    edited January 2009
    I'm not sure how this could work any differently or how this is different than the other fill styles. The fill styles always stay their same number of pixels wide. If your fill style has large stripes, there wouldn't be any way to maintain the number of stripes within the area without changing the actual stripes to be more or less thick. The assumption is that you made the lines thick on purpose and wouldn't want those changed.

Even if I use a built-in style like a hatch the number of hatches is not constant as I zoom in and out, but the hatch size is.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Shafer
    edited January 2009
    i see what your saying. thanks for the help though....this is deffinatley better than nothing...keep up the great work and thanks fr an awesome program!