Global Mapper v25.0

Line Profile

kentman
kentman Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited February 2009 in Elevation Data
Is there a way in which I could relate back the points on the profile window to actual points on the vector line - prehaps numbering the vertices the same on both?

Kent

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited January 2009
    When you create a path profile from a vector line each vertex location is marked on the path profile, although is doesn't show any kind of vertex number or anything like that.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • kentman
    kentman Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited January 2009
    Thanks Mike.

I realize that but would it be posible in a future release to add this facility, it would be really useful especially when presenting results?

Kent
  • global_mapper
    edited January 2009
    Kent,

I can add something like this to the todo list for inclusion in a future release.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Jurgen
    Jurgen Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited February 2009
    Would it be possible to mark these points in the export table function of the profile ?
    This would be very handy for identifying features along the profile !
    Thank you
  • global_mapper
    edited February 2009
    How would you like these points marked in the export table? They should already be there as just a normal location when you export the path profile. I suppose I could potentially add an extra field next to those points or something when writing to a file, like a vertex number or something.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Jurgen
    edited February 2009
    That's what I thought as well.
    An extra field with the vertex number would be just great.
    To identify features along the profile is otherwise a cumbersome job (looking up the coordinates of the features and then locating them in the table)

Thanks,
    Jürgen
  • global_mapper
    edited February 2009
    Ok, I'll try and get an extra field added where interior vertices after prompting the user.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Jurgen
    edited February 2009
    Thank You Mike, looking forward to see this function
  • global_mapper
    edited February 2009
    I have updated the 'Save XYZ File' option on the path profile dialog to prompt you to save a segment index column as well if more than 2 points are used for the profile. This way you can just see when that number changes to see where your clicked points were. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Jurgen
    edited February 2009
    Works great, thank You!
    Do you think it's possible to implement this in the 'Save CSV File' option, then all information would be in one file (location, distance , segment index)

Now that I have Your attention...
    Is there a chance to program a function for multilayerd profiles?
    This would be really handy, for example profiling geological layers.

Thank's
    Jürgen
  • global_mapper
    edited February 2009
    I have decided to move this to the CSV export rather than the XYZ based on your suggestion. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Support for multi-layered profiles is on our todo list.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • kentman
    edited February 2009
    Hi Mike,

Thanks to you and Jurgen for taking this forward however, I have just downloaded from the above link and installed as instructed but there is no prompt saving an XYZ and there is nothing in the resulting file data to suggest which points are where you clicked - is there a chance you could look at this again please?

Kent
  • kentman
    edited February 2009
    Mike,

I think my reply to this thread has gone into Juergan's thankyou thread!:eek:

Kent
  • global_mapper
    edited February 2009
    Kent,

I initially added the new column for the Save XYZ option with a prompt, but quickly moved it to the Save CSV option with no prompt, so just use the CSV export option to get the segment ids (and other information) along with the XYZ.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com