Global Mapper v25.0

Dem files : Global Mapper and Photoshop

papaver
papaver Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited December 2008 in Elevation Data
Hello,

I’m looking for a way to export a dem file from Global Mapper, open it in Photoshop as a grayscale raster image and modify it (smoothing or “adding noise” to some places, for example), then save it from Photoshop and open the modified file in Global Mapper. I tried to do so with geotif format, but obtained no useable results.

Using Photoshop is important for me, because I’ve got a lot a data to compute, an I need to use his automated script functions.

Any solution for this problem ?

Thanks (and sorry for my english...).

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2008
    Did you save as a 16-bit vertical GeoTIFF file from Global Mapper? That should generate a grayscale 16-bit per pixel GeoTIFF file containing the actual elevation values. I would think that Photoshop would be able to load that, although I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • papaver
    papaver Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited December 2008
    As in Photoshop, the grayscale 16-bit per pixel GeoTIFF seemed to be entirely black on my screen, I belevied that Photoshop was unable to read the file correctly. But the image is not really black : after correcting its brightness, gray nuances are visible. So it works.

Thank you for your help.

PS : being able to display directly 3D vector data (not only elevation grid from vector data) in Global Mapper would be a fantastic evolution ! Will Global Mapper 11 be able to do this ?
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited December 2008
    We would like to add support for viewing 3D vector data in true 3D, but the 3D viewer is not a point of expertise for us (the 3D viewer was outsourced to a 3rd party) so it is harder for us to add things there. We have released the source code for our 3D viewer at Global Mapper - Developers, so if anyone wants to tackle making additions like this (we can provide additional support from the Global Mapper main application as needed) that would speed things up.

For now we recommend exporting 3D vector data to KML/KMZ files for display in true 3D in Google Earth.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com