Global Mapper v25.0

Possible Map Catalog Glitch

ollagynot
ollagynot Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited November 2008 in Bug Report
Mike,

I have loaded three different map catalogs that are set to appear only at certain scales, a set of about 60 DEMs, a set of about 50 24k DRGs, and another set of four 100k DRGs.

The 24k DRGs and the DEMs are set are set to show between 1:0 and 1:143000.
The 100k DRGs are set to show between 1:143000 and 1:690000.

I have the 24ks translucency adjusted to about 70% for a soft shaded relief effect using the “Modify Display of Raster Layers…” feature in the map catalog. The problem is when I pan far over in any direction I lose the shaded relief effect, but when I return to the check the translucency in the setting it is still set to 70%. Once I adjust the translucency slide a little up or down and press “apply” it appears again. Is this a glitch or a limitation due to the amount of stuff that I have loaded?

Also I have another question regarding saving map catalogs. Is the information in the “Modify Display of Raster Layers…” supposed to save when you save a map catalog? When I save a map catalog it keeps the map scale information and name but not any of the data I selected in the “Modify Display of Raster Layers…” function.

Thank you,
Tony

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited October 2008
    Tony,

That is a strange one. I would expect the translucency to always be there. What version of Global Mapper are you using?

The "Raster Display Options" settings are applied to a map catalog and not part of a map catalog itself, so they are stored in a workspace file and not in a map catalog. That way you could use the same map catalog in different workspaces with different settings applied to it.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • ollagynot
    ollagynot Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited October 2008
    Version 10, sorry I forgot that.
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2008
    Can you send me a screenshot of when this works and then when you pan and it doesn't? I want to make sure we are talking about the same things.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • ollagynot
    edited October 2008
    Mike,

Here is a screenshot of the problem. When I pan over to a certain spot this is what happens. The DRGs translucency is set to 70% and there are DEMs under all the DRGs?

Furthermore, I have this all saved as a work space file and every time I open it, all the shaded relief is gone but the DRGs are still set to 70% translucency.

Thank You,
    Tony
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2008
    It looks like the DEM layer is not drawing underneath for some reason. How is your DEM map catalog set up? You can send it to me if you want.

Also, you might note that rather than using translucency for shading if you check the texture map option for the DRG map catalog you should get better shading results.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • ollagynot
    edited October 2008
    Actually the DEMs are drawing I can see them rendered and then the DRGs draw.
    How should I send them there are a lot of DRGs and DEMs in the two catalogs?
  • ollagynot
    edited October 2008
    Also,

I like the translucency way because it gives me more control over the amount of shaded relief and also the option to add a little color to represent elevation. The problem does not occur when the texture map option is checked.

I also tried setting a transparent color (white) for the DRGs, and then I tried setting the blend mode to multiple. Both options worked just as they should. The problem seems to be with just the translucency option.
  • global_mapper
    edited October 2008
    First, can you try downloading and installing the v10.01 beta from http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper_setup_v1001_beta.exe and see if that makes any difference.

If not, if you could supply the .gmc files and just a couple of the DEM and DRG files in an area that this occurs, I can take a look from that. If you need to FTP it you can do so to ftp.globalmapper.com. Login with a username of 'upload' and a password of 'upload' to gain write access.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • ollagynot
    edited November 2008
    Mike,

I downloaded and installed v10.01 beta and the problem is still present. I have finished loading the DRGs, GMC. Files, and the DEM (actually .BILs) via the ftp (filename of the folder is TONY). Attached are two better screenshots of the problem. I set the translucency zoomed all the way out and everything was good (the before picture) until I zoomed in to about the scale of the 24k DRGs and panned around then it happened. I zoomed out to the full extent and that is the after screen shot that I have attached.

Thank You
    Tony
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for the files. I was able to reproduce the problem and fix it. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper10.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v10.xx installation folder to give it a try.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • ollagynot
    edited November 2008
    Mike everything works great!

Thank You
    Tony