Global Mapper v25.0

Large MapInfo .tab files

ASheldon
ASheldon Global Mapper User
edited October 2008 in Technical Support
I'm working with some very large (for me) MapInfo TAB files at the moment, and keep running into memory problems.

The tab and associated dat file run to about 1.2 GB in size, and GlobalMapper seems to fall over when its memory useage hits about 2 GB, as obtained from the windows process manager.

Until I get GlobalMapper installed on a 64 bit system, with more memory, is there any way of loading up a file in sections? say 500 MB at a time, so I can at least get the data loaded and chop it up into smaller tiles?

Cheers.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited October 2008
    There is a 2GB per-process limit in any Windows application on 32-bit Windows, so until you get a 64-bit version of Windows there really isn't any way to load this into Global Mapper (assuming that you are already using the latest release, as earlier versions might not be as memory efficient).

The one exception is if you have XP Pro or Windows Server 2003, there is an OS setup switch that you can use to access up to 3GB in some applications, including Global Mapper. See How to Set the /3GB Startup Switch in Windows for details.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • ASheldon
    ASheldon Global Mapper User
    edited October 2008
    OK, I'll give that switch a go.

Failing that I'll just give it a try on my 64bit system...

Thanks.