Shapefile intersection

Dishay
Dishay Global Mapper User
edited August 2008 in Vector Data
Hi

I have shapefiles that overlap each other in Global Mapper V9. I want
to export the shapefile of the intersection of these shapfiles. ie:
(shapefileA) union (shapefileB). basically the common area of the
shapefile. How do i go about getting this shapefile?

Thanks in advance.,

Dishay

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2008
    Dishay,

You can simply load your two Shapefiles, then use the File->Export Shapefile menu command and export a single new Shapefile, using the Export Bounds tab of the export dialog to change you export to only be the bounds of the intersection of the 2 layers.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Dishay
    Dishay Global Mapper User
    edited August 2008
    Hi Mike

Thanks for the quick response.

I have gotten as far as the "Export Bounds" tab however there is no option to export the bounds of the intersection of the two layers. The first layer contains many compartments, while the second layer is a view shed with a radius of about 8km. The terrain map from which the view shed derived shapefile is an irregular shape. I have tried exporting by drawing a box as well, and the shapefile retrieved was a combination of the two layers with no means of identifying the intersection. I would like to get the area of the view shed shapefile in the compartments.

Please see the attached image for further information.

sample.jpg

Thanks,
    Dishay
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2008
    Dishay,

There isn't really going to be an easy way to get the area of the Shapefile in the compartments as that would require cropping the view shed polygon to the irregularly shaped polygon of the compartment, which is not something that is currently supported (i.e polygon to polygon cropping).

You could select the individual component cells of your top layer to get their area, then perhaps visually estimate the coverage percentage within that cell to get a rough estimate.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com