Global Mapper v25.0

Search Vector Data Window

Roger Edrinn
Roger Edrinn Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited December 2007 in Suggestion Box
Please make the following changes/additions to the Search Vector Data Window:

- Add a second "*" wildcard to the Compare Value field, that way I can insert my cursor between the pair of "**". This is a universal solution, will work as now with two.
- Make the dialog a normal Window able to be shrunk to the taskbar like the Overlay CC.
- Not always on top
- Nested searches and/or search within selection.
- After a large selection, edit selection, return to bottom of selection, currently returns to the top and I have to scroll down again.
- User selectable column order and width, keep persistent.

Thanks

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited November 2007
    Roger,

You should just be able to type the second wildcard if you need to search on a string embedded in another string. I'm afraid that defaulting to 2 wildcards may be confusing to some users.

I have gone ahead and added support for minimizing the search dialog. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper9.zip with the change for you to try. Simply download that file and extract the contents into your existing v9.xx installation folder to give it a try.

The other changes are on our todo list for a future release.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    Roger Edrinn Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2007
    You should just be able to type the second wildcard if you need to search on a string embedded in another string. I'm afraid that defaulting to 2 wildcards may be confusing to some users.
    You may have misunderstood me, may. :)

My typical search string would look like this: *mar* to find FTYPE=swampmarsh. I simply find a 2-4 letter text string to find the category I'm seeking. So typing in the second * is a shift-8, long reach with one hand. If you have a suggestion, I'm a listening.

As to confusing, I clearly understand you have aim at the lowest common user. I sure have to with my maps. Amazing the questions the rookies will ask.

Thanks
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited November 2007
    I have gone ahead and added support for minimizing the search dialog. I have placed a new build at http://www.globalmapper.com/global_mapper9.zip with the change for you to try.
    Mike,

This is a little "Over-the-Top"!!! I'm used to world class customer support, but it is Thanksgiving Day.

Works like a charm. Happy Turkey. :)

Thanks
    Roger
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2007
    Roger,

I could actually smell the turkey cooking as I made the change earlier today!

How about if I add a registry key that controls the default search string? That way the normal users wouldn't get confused by seeing two astericks and you could make that your default, plus I wouldn't have to spend a lot of time on adding a user interface for changing the default search string.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited November 2007
    I could actually smell the turkey cooking as I made the change earlier today!
    No matter how big your house the smell is everywhere.
    How about if I add a registry key that controls the default search string? That way the normal users wouldn't get confused by seeing two astericks and you could make that your default, plus I wouldn't have to spend a lot of time on adding a user interface for changing the default search string.
    Works for me.

Speaking of registry tweaks, do I still have to use the registry to create the 8-digit ID starting vaule when I export to MP? Hoping that made it into the MP export dialog.

Thanks,
    Roger
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2007
    Roger,

I have added a new registry string value at "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Global Mapper\DefaultVectorSearchStr" that stores the default search string.

There has been an option added to the MP export to use the image ID value from your selected template file rather than the one from the registry, so there is a way to use your own ID without editing the registry.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited November 2007
    I have added a new registry string value at "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Global Mapper\DefaultVectorSearchStr" that stores the default search string.
    Not seeing it. I have Build 11-22 @ 19:47.

Thanks
    Roger
  • STH
    STH Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2007
    Perhaps you have to add this variable yourself? (Similar to what I had to do in http://www.globalmapperforum.com/forums//showthread.php?p=729 ). I did not see the variable either, but added it myself.
  • global_mapper
    edited November 2007
    That is correct, you have to add the value yourself. If it is not there then the default search string is used.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • Roger Edrinn
    edited December 2007
    STH wrote: »
    Perhaps you have to add this variable yourself? (Similar to what I had to do in http://www.globalmapperforum.com/forums//showthread.php?p=729 ). I did not see the variable either, but added it myself.

That is correct, you have to add the value yourself. If it is not there then the default search string is used.

Finally got around to doing this while I was in regedit changing the MP ID number.

Works ** appears in the search box, I'm dangerous now!!! :p

Thanks to Both of you.