Global Mapper v25.0

Labels not showing in Google Maps

therooster
therooster Global Mapper User
edited August 2008 in Technical Support
I am trying to do an export of some data to Google Maps, but am struggling with the data labels.

If I select Configuration -> Vector Tools -> Always Display All Labels, then every label displays for each road segment I am working with and they are all overlapped over each other (which makes sense, as some line segments are only a few meters long, so there are a lot of labels.

If I do NOT select 'Always Display All Labels' then when viewing the data on GlobalMapper, the labels will appear only as I zoom in (which is great). On the exported Google Map tiles, hardly any labels show when zoomed in.

I am trying to make the Google Map tiles replicate GlobalMapper, i.e. the same labels show at the same zoom levels, but it just does not seem to work. It seems like with the Google Maps export, it's all or nothing, so either ALL labels show, or only 10 out of 1000 show (dependant on the 'Always Display All Labels' option).

Please can someone let me know if I'm missing something here ! Just so you know, I do have 'Draw Feature Labels' enabled in Configuration -> Vector Display.

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2008
    I think the issue is that when you export for Google Maps the data is broken up into numerous small tiles. Global Mapper disables the display of any labels that would cross a tile boundary, which for small tiles means you would lose a lot of labels.

What you can do is use a smaller font for the line types that you are exporting to get more labels to fit. I also just had an idea to improve this. I will throw it in and let you know if I can provide a new build that works better.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2008
    Unfortunately my idea didn't really work, so I guess shrinking the font size is the main possibility to get more line labels to display.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com
  • therooster
    therooster Global Mapper User
    edited August 2008
    Unfortunately that didn't really work as we still lost almost all labels at a close zoom level. Thanks anyway...