Global Mapper v25.0

Making kmz files compatible with google 3D warehouse

charlie3
charlie3 Global Mapper User
edited April 2008 in Vector Data
Google 3D warehouse says it will accpt a kmz file not generated by sketchup if these instructions are followed:

If you're interested in uploading a KMZ file that wasn't generated from Google SketchUp, please make sure the KMZ file meets the following requirements:

Includes exactly one KML file.
Includes at least one tag.
Each tag in the KML must reference a DAE file.
Contains only the following file types:
KML
Images
TXT files
Images included in the KMZ can only be of the following types:
BMP
GIF
JPEG
PNG
How do I upload a KMZ file to the 3D Warehouse?

I loaded a shp file of County Township boundary lines into GM, exported to kmz and it displays great in Google Earth on my local machine. When I try to upload it to the 3D Warehouse space it refuses the file and generates this message: "3D Warehouse is unable to load this file. KMZ file must contain at least one model file."

Here is the file it doesn't like. http://home.comcast.net/~charlieiii/wind/Huron_County_Township_boundaries.KMZ

Here is a snapshot of the data displayed on google earth http://www.huroncity.com/wind/Township.jpg

I don't know how to proceed. If there is a work around for this I can upload bunch of State of Michigan political and survey boundary lines to share with others.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Charlie

Comments

• global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited April 2008
    Charlie,

I believe that the problem is the missing .dae file which is apparently required for KML files that are to be added to the 3D Warehouse. I'm really not familiar with what a .dae file is or why it is required, but Global Mapper does not generate .dae files. From the list of requirements above that is the only one that I can see that would not be met.

If you can somehow generate a .dae file you might be able to get it added.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Support
    support@globalmapper.com