Global Mapper v25.0

Exporting GMP package file not working as expected.

edhoward
edhoward Global Mapper User
Exported a GMP file of a 300mile x 200mile area with SRTM worldwide 3-arc-sec and Worldwide Imagery data layers on. It took about 5 seconds and created an unexpectedly small file (680k). Opening the GMP reveals extremely low resolution SRTM and World Imagery layers - about 600 pixels wide each (not even screen resolution). It does this using raster as jp2 and raster as  GeoTIFF. Both 17.2 64 & 32 bit versions do this.
Exporting from 16.2 or 17.1 creates a file 46mb with correct resolution data.

Answers

• Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    With World Imagery and SRTM loaded for a 700x550km area, and using default settings for Export Package File except for "Online Layer Export Options", :
    1. Automatically Choose a Good Zoom Level
    results: 323Kb file, pixels 2500m (not useful for anything)
    2. Use the Zoom Level Displayed on the Screen
    results: 57Kb file, pixels 10,000m (much less than useful)
    3. Use Best Available Zoom Level (World Imagery lists 0.1m resolution):
    b070816: subdialog finished, main dialog at 33%, no further progress (same results twice)
    b072516: after filename dialog, no dialog displayed and about 20 sec later computer locks up hard (viewed on Resource Monitor)
    (same results three times)
    Very, very few programs completely lock up my computer, so was surprised.

On both builds, expected to see a warning message about not finishing until after the cows came home, but there was no message.
    Using Win7Pro-64 with 8Gb RAM
  • Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Okay, gotta problem here.

Was attempting to export USGS 10m DEM from online source and entire computer locked up every time.  
    Using b072516 since I had downloaded the daily build for testing this question, then returned to b070816, using a workflow very familiar to me.  Output file gets created, then no progress dialog, and complete lockup within a minute as verified with Resource Monitor. 

Finally double-checked the extents that is normally set to screen limits, and found that it was being set to entire limits of data set.  THAT will certainly create problems with on-line data sets.  That is probably the cause of the lockup in my previous post (I don't use Package files). 

Now I need to figure out where that setting is to use screen limits ... there it is: Configuration dialog, General tab, Misc Advanced Options, "Export: Use Current Screen Bounds by Default".  Now how did THAT get unchecked ??!!

Now my data gets exported normally with progress dialog. 

Looks like we REALLY need some alert message when exporting an on-line source with All Loaded Data selected.  Especially when All Loaded Data is the default.  It looks like you can't wait for a response from the server, which would result in a message about needing to take long enough for the Cows To Come Home, or until the next Blue Moon.  
  • edhoward
    edhoward Global Mapper User
    Thanks for the share. I went through all my settings and sure enough, it was set to "Automatically choose a pathetically small zoom level". Swear over the last 4-5 years of GM updates, I never once changed this setting...
    So all is well here and GM is working as expected. The cows are coming home - whoopee!