Global Mapper v25.0

GROUP function

JSL
JSL Global Mapper UserTrusted User
First, I just wanted to say thanks for the new "Save as CSV" button in the Search box--what a timesaver!

Second, I was wondering if it was possible to retain hierarchies when grouping two groups together.  Right now, if I have a group with a sub-hierarchy of layers based on color, for example, and I want to group it with another group that has a sub-hierarchy based on elevation, when the new group is created, all the sub-hierarchies are lost from the original groups, and I have to manually go in there and create sub-groupings of layers again.

Thanks for any help.

Answers

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Are you asking if you can merge two group hierarchies together?  Can you provide an example of before and after group hierarchies so we can be sure that we understand what you are looking for?
  • JSL
    JSL Global Mapper User Trusted User
    Sorry about the late reply--I usually get email notifications when there's a response to my forum questions, and that hasn't happened lately.

Here's a hypothetical example:

I originally have two groups, Basin1 and Basin2, with 2 layers in each group:

Basin1:
       Subbasin LA
       Subbasin MT
    Basin2:
       Subbasin TX
       Subbasin GA

When I combine the two groups into a new group, they lose their original grouping:

NEWBASIN GRP:
       Subbasin LA
       Subbasin MT
       Subbasin TX
       Subbasin GA

Then I need to go back and manually add subfolders to restore the original grouping:

NEWBASIN GRP:
       Basin1
           Subbasin LA
           Subbasin MT
       Basin2
           Subbasin TX
           Subbasin GA

Thanks for any help.