Global Mapper v25.0

How do I find a point inside polygon as opposed to centroid which is sometimes outside

tylcoatc
tylcoatc Global Mapper User
One sometimes needs to determine a decent point inside a polygon to for example place a label and for other purposes. How does one automate finding these sometimes hundreds of points where the centroid falls outside the polygon.

Answers

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    What version of Global Mapper are you using? In Global Mapper 16, when creating points at the centroid of an area, you have the option to automatically move the point so that it is inside the area boundary.
  • tylcoatc
    Thanks. I have existing (1000's) polygons a percentage of which have this problem, and it would be too great a job to move each manually. To have the option when creating is nice but this definitely needs to be done automatically. I registered a long time ago and have only started using this forum recently again, so I am not sure why it perhaps does not display that info to you as I filled it in, but I am using ver13. Really appreciate you answering.
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Answer ✓
    Perhaps I wasn't clear. You can select one or more area features and have Global Mapper automatically create a point at the centroid of each one. It is during this process that you can tell GM to make sure that the point is inside the area. I'm not sure exactly when this was added, but I am pretty sure that it was after v13.
  • tylcoatc
    Ok, maybe I need to get a ver16 trial version and if convinced about the worth of finding the extra functionality I will find the funds and upgrade. Thanks so much