Global Mapper v25.0

Error exporting to Arc File Geodatabase

cefrench
cefrench Global Mapper User
edited June 2015 in Technical Support
Hello all,

I've imported an IHS (297f) file into global mapper, and I'm attempting to export that to a new Esri File Geodatabase

When the "Spatial Database Export Options" dialog box appears, I select both points and lines to export, give them a name (there are no options in the drop down box) and I get an error:

Unable to create feature class: testline. Details: The table was not found. [testline] (HRESULT:0X80041207, -2147216889)

Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Comments

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited June 2015
    Hello Chris,

What version of Global Mapper are you using?
    What version of ArcGIS is installed on your computer?
    Can you upload a zip archive containing your input data so that I can attempt to recreate the problem?

The error code indicates that a spatial reference has not been set up in the output file. What projection is your data in?

Cheers,

Bob
  • cefrench
    edited June 2015
    bmg_bob wrote: »
    Hello Chris,

What version of Global Mapper are you using?
    What version of ArcGIS is installed on your computer?
    Can you upload a zip archive containing your input data so that I can attempt to recreate the problem?

The error code indicates that a spatial reference has not been set up in the output file. What projection is your data in?

Cheers,

Bob

My apologies for not being specific

Global Mapper 16.2 32bit
    ArcGIS 10.1

It's a large file, 280MB in IHS's 297f format, which appears to exceed your upload limit

The geographic data in a 297f is stored as Geographic NAD27. Global Mapper doesn't know what the projection is at the time of import and asks me to set the projection, so I assume the spatial project is set after that point? The project settings show it set as Geographic NAD27 after the import.

Thanks for the quick reply, and I hope the above information helps.
  • bmg_bob
    edited June 2015
    Hi Chris,

I was able to reproduce your result using some of my own data, so no need to upload yours at this time. I will investigate further to determine the cause, and fix it.

Cheers,

Bob
  • cefrench
    edited June 2015
    Hi Chris,

I was able to reproduce your result using some of my own data, so no need to upload yours at this time. I will investigate further to determine the cause, and fix it.

Cheers,

Bob

Thank you. Please let me know when the bug is fixed or there is a work around.
  • bmg_bob
    edited June 2015
    Hi Chris,

It appears that the bug has already been fixed, but the fix has not made it into the general release yet. You can get a copy of the latest daily build of Global Mapper, which includes the fix, from Global Mapper Downloads. Simply download the appropriate installer and run it to install the latest build.
    Cheers,

Bob
  • cefrench
    edited June 2015
    Hi Chris,

It appears that the bug has already been fixed, but the fix has not made it into the general release yet. You can get a copy of the latest daily build of Global Mapper, which includes the fix, from Global Mapper Downloads. Simply download the appropriate installer and run it to install the latest build.
    Cheers,

Bob

It seems to be partially fixed in the daily build. It now will export the lines to a feature class in a Geodatabase, but will error on the points.

"Unable to create feature class: testline. Details: The table was not found. [testline] (HRESULT:0X80040357, --2147220649)"
  • bmg_bob
    edited June 2015
    Hi Chris,

That error code indicates that Global Mapper is trying to create a table with duplicate column names. It looks like I will need your data to see why that is happening. I will send you a private message with connection information for our FTP site so you can upload your file.

Cheers,

Bob
  • bmg_bob
    edited June 2015
    Hi Chris,

I was able to fix the problem that was preventing you from exporting your data to an Esri File Geodatabase. I have placed new builds with the latest changes at Global Mapper Downloads. Simply download the appropriate installer and run it to install the latest build.

Unfortunately, the exported point table created from your data could not be imported by ArcGIS 10.0, or by Global Mapper, since we are using ArcGIS to read the table. When the ArcGIS software attempts to read that table, it crashes without producing a useful error message that might indicate the cause. The output point table has roughly 3500 attribute columns, which may be contributing to the problem. I tried exporting smaller subsets of the data by cropping it to a polygon, and was able to create some tables that could be imported by ArcGIS and Global Mapper.

This is the first time I have run into this issue where Global Mapper used ArcGIS software to create a database that appears to be structurally unsound in some way that causes ArcGIS to crash. Since you are using a newer version of ArcGIS, it may be worth it for you to try exporting this table to see if perhaps the problem was caused by a bug in ArcGIS that has since been fixed.

Cheers,

Bob
  • cefrench
    edited June 2015
    Hi Chris,

I was able to fix the problem that was preventing you from exporting your data to an Esri File Geodatabase. I have placed new builds with the latest changes at Global Mapper Downloads. Simply download the appropriate installer and run it to install the latest build.

Unfortunately, the exported point table created from your data could not be imported by ArcGIS 10.0, or by Global Mapper, since we are using ArcGIS to read the table. When the ArcGIS software attempts to read that table, it crashes without producing a useful error message that might indicate the cause. The output point table has roughly 3500 attribute columns, which may be contributing to the problem. I tried exporting smaller subsets of the data by cropping it to a polygon, and was able to create some tables that could be imported by ArcGIS and Global Mapper.

This is the first time I have run into this issue where Global Mapper used ArcGIS software to create a database that appears to be structurally unsound in some way that causes ArcGIS to crash. Since you are using a newer version of ArcGIS, it may be worth it for you to try exporting this table to see if perhaps the problem was caused by a bug in ArcGIS that has since been fixed.

Cheers,

Bob

Bob

Success! At least in ArcGIS 10.1, so I would guess that your import/export problem has been fixed since 10.0. I was able to export/import the full dataset with all the tables, btw.

Thank you for getting this addressed so quickly. Next time you find yourself in Billings, MT, I'll buy you a beer.
  • David_Page
    edited January 2017
    I am having the same problem regarding this issue

Running: Global Mapper v18.0.3 (b111616) - REGISTERED
    and ArcMap v10.4.1

Getting the exact same error message.

Thanks,

David
  • bmg_bob
    I am having the same problem regarding this issue

Running: Global Mapper v18.0.3 (b111616) - REGISTERED
    and ArcMap v10.4.1

Getting the exact same error message.

Thanks,

David
    Hello David,

Please post the full text of your error message (Global Mapper puts it in the clipboard.)  Also, can you post a zip archive containing the data you are starting with?  Thanks.

Cheers,
    Bob
  • Bob,

Thanks for responding.  I figured it out.

When naming the file during the Export you cannot have any spaces in the file name (Figured that out when trying to create a table in ArcMap).

Thanks,

David