Global Mapper v25.0

Failed to generate any elevation grid tiles

Anthra
Anthra Global Mapper User
edited April 2015 in Elevation Data
Hello,

I've got this error right away if I try to generate Elevation Grid from 3D vector data.

I was wondering where to get more details about this error (log? how to access it?).

My goal is to convert my obj file (which is pretty big) to elevation Geotif or BIL. Tell me if this is how to do it:
-load obj file
-generate grid elevation
-export to raster (BIL or Geotif)

I don't know where the error comes from. The data is loaded but I'm not sure it's done properly. When I display the 3D view the data seems to be rotated (should be a terrain of a open pit mine):
3DView.jpg

So as you can read I've got several questions, I hope someone can help me solve this.

Thx.

Comments

• JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    edited April 2015
    Hello Anthra,

If I understand you correctly, you are loading a WaveFront OBJ file, and trying to generate an elevation grid from it? If so, then that's not currently possible in Global Mapper. Even though we support loading of these and other types of 3D model formats, we can't do much with them except to display them, for now. As we move forward, we'll be adding more functionality that actually interacts with the types of objects usually found in these files (i.e., meshes). If you wish, I can add a feature request for this specific operation, but it's one of many that needs to be added to Global Mapper. Please let me know.

best regards,

~Jeff