Global Mapper v25.0

Export Shp file

TadRobin
TadRobin Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited January 2015 in Technical Support
Have read over some of the posts concerning export shp files but could not find an answer.

I have a shp file of the state of Nevada that shows parcel land status/ownership by colored fill. The fill colors were set to random upon import.

Within GM16 I have edited the fill colors to what I needed. I then exported the edited shp file and attempted to import it into Google Earth Pro. Every time the fill colors revert back to random within GE.

I am guessing that it might be a setting within GM that I am not aware of...any help?

Tad

Comments

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited January 2015
    Hi Tad,

Did you export your data as a shapefile? If so, shapefiles do not retain style information. If you want to display the data in Google Earth, and keep the area styles, exporting as KML/KMZ would be a better idea.

Cheers,

Bob
  • PShorey
    PShorey Global Mapper Developer Moderator, Trusted User
    edited January 2015
    As Bob said, KML/KMZ would be the better way to go for Google Earth. However, the shapefile export has a "Add Style Attributes to DBF" option that I think will also work for you.
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited January 2015
    PShorey wrote: »
    As Bob said, KML/KMZ would be the better way to go for Google Earth. However, the shapefile export has a "Add Style Attributes to DBF" option that I think will also work for you.

I thought about that, but I don't know if Google Earth Pro will use those attributes when displaying the data. If it does, then that is a good option also. If not, then KML/KMZ is better.

Cheers,

Bob
  • TadRobin
    TadRobin Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited January 2015
    bmg_bob wrote: »
    I thought about that, but I don't know if Google Earth Pro will use those attributes when displaying the data. If it does, then that is a good option also. If not, then KML/KMZ is better.

Cheers,

Bob

Thanks for the help, I will give that a try.

Tad