Global Mapper v25.0

Problem Opening MapInfo File

acgardiner
acgardiner Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited January 2015 in Technical Support
When I open the attached MIF/MID files I get entirely different results from parties who are loading them directly into MapInfo. Can I be loading them improperly??

Oops - can't seem to upload MID and MIF files.......

Comments

• bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited November 2014
    Hello,

I recommend putting the MIF and MID files in to a zip archive. That will allow you to attach them to your post.

What version of Global Mapper are you using?

Cheers,

Bob
  • acgardiner
    acgardiner Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2014
    Version 15.1.6. Pls find attached zipped MapInfo files.
  • bmg_bob
    edited November 2014
    Hello,

I suggest that you update to the latest build of Global Mapper 15 (15.2.9), and see if your problem persists. We have made many bug fixes and feature enhancements since 15.1.6 was released. If the problem is still happening, I will need for you to be more specific about the symptom you are seeing. Is there an error message? Perhaps you could attach screen captures showing the difference between what is displayed in Global Mapper and MapInfo.

Global Mapper download link: Global Mapper Downloads

(You will need to scroll down the page a bit to get the link to Global Mapper 15.)

Cheers,

Bob
  • acgardiner
    edited November 2014
    I upgraded as you suggested but to no avail. I've attached two Mapinfo files and two Google Map files. The latter show the interference-free zone between two contours, as should the MIF files when each are opened in GM. The MIF files show an interference zone totally through the area within the outer contours. Is this making any sense??
  • acgardiner
    edited November 2014
    Also, as requested, screen shots of the two methods are attached.
  • bmg_bob
    edited November 2014
    Hi,

I loaded your data, and what I see in Global Mapper corresponds to how the KMZ data looks in Google Earth, taking into account the difference in projections. Can you take a screen capture of what you are seeing and annotate it to indicate what is wrong?

I did get an error message when I was loading the KFMO-FM file into Global Mapper because one of the polygon features in that file is a multi-polygon. I will investigate that message. Did you see the same thing?

Cheers,

Bob
  • acgardiner
    edited November 2014
    Pls see attached. When I click on the inner curved area, cross-hatching should appear throughout the area between the outer and inner curved surfaces. That is what should happen and how it appears in MapInfo.. Instead,test case.png cross-hatching pops up throughout the area bounded by the outer curved area, including the area bounded by the inner curve.
  • bmg_bob
    edited November 2014
    Hi,

I opened the CFMO-FM file, and was able to see that Global Mapper was missing the inner area geometry. I loaded the same file into MapInfo, and created a TAB file. Global Mapper successfully loaded the TAB file, and I exported a new MIF file (attached). Global Mapper successfully loads the new CMFO-FM MIF file.

CFMO-FM_fixed.zip

It is not clear why the original CFMO-FM MIF file was causing problems. We use 3rd party software to load MIF files, so I will need to do some more investigation to see if I can fix it.

Cheers,

Bob
  • bmg_bob
    edited November 2014
    Hi,

When I opened the CKLH-FM in MapInfo, I found that the selection behavior was the same as in Global Mapper (selecting the inner polygon just selected that one, but selecting in the outer polygon selected the entire outer polygon.) I modified the data in Global Mapper so that the inner polygon was designated as an island, and exported a new MIF file. This new MIF file (attached) opens in Global Mapper, and the selection behavior is correct.

CKLH-FM_fixed.zip

Cheers,

Bob
  • acgardiner
    edited November 2014
    So, Bob, when I encounter the identical situation for future FM station designs, can you share with me how you did this or do I need to call upon your technical expertise each time??
  • bmg_bob
    edited November 2014
    Hi,

I should have included more details about what I did. This is for when selecting the outer polygon selects the whole thing instead of treating the inner polygon as an island.
    1. In the Digitizer, select the inner polygon.
    2. Right click, and on the menu choose Move/Reshape Features->Cut Selected Area(s) from Another Area (Create Islands).
    3. You will be prompted to select the polygon to be the parent. Choose the outer polygon.
    4. Global Mapper will ask if you want to mark the area feature being removed as deleted. Click Yes.
    5. Now you should find that the selection works as you want it to.
    6. Export the data as MapInfo MID/MIF using the File->Export menu item.
    7. Your new MID file should import correctly, and the selection behavior should be what you are looking for.
    To fix the MIF file that has the import warning:
    1. Import the MIF into MapInfo. That process will create a TAB file.
    2. Import the TAB file into Global Mapper.
    3. If the selection behavior is wrong, use the steps above to fix it.
    4. If the selection behavior is OK and you prefer a MIF file, you can then export the data as a MIF from Global Mapper.
    Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Bob
  • acgardiner
    edited November 2014
    Many thanks Bob. I'll work on this.
  • acgardiner
    edited January 2015
    Bob,

I'm having the same problem with the attached file. Can you apply the same "fix" that you did to the earlier CKLH? Also, so that I don't have to pester you again, could you at some point give me step-by-step instructions on how to import future similar MIF files?
    Thanks again.

Tony
    CILQ-FM.zip
  • acgardiner
    edited January 2015
    Oops - forgot to mention that, further to your previous instructions in which you said in the Digitizer "Right click, and on the menu choose Move/Reshape Features", the option "Cut Selected Area(s) from Another Area" does not pop up. :confused:
  • bmg_bob
    edited January 2015
    Hello,

You can find a description of what I did to enable the MIF file to be imported into Global Mapper in this post.

I used Global Mapper 15.2.9 for for the Digitizer work (I think this is the same version you are using.) After selecting the feature, and right-clicking, I moved the mouse over the Move/Reshape Feature menu item, and a sub-menu popped up. The 6th item on that sub-menu was Cut Selected Area(s) from Another Area. Are you seeing something different when you do this?

Cheers,

Bob
  • acgardiner
    edited January 2015
    bmg_bob wrote: »
    Hello,

You can find a description of what I did to enable the MIF file to be imported into Global Mapper in this post.

I used Global Mapper 15.2.9 for for the Digitizer work (I think this is the same version you are using.) After selecting the feature, and right-clicking, I moved the mouse over the Move/Reshape Feature menu item, and a sub-menu popped up. The 6th item on that sub-menu was Cut Selected Area(s) from Another Area. Are you seeing something different when you do this?

Cheers,

Bob
    Yes. If you open the file I sent you, you'll see what I mean.
  • bmg_bob
    edited January 2015
    Hello,
    acgardiner wrote: »
    Yes. If you open the file I sent you, you'll see what I mean.

I did use your file, but I see the Cut Selected Area(s) option in the menu when I select the blue area near the middle. Please provide a detailed description of your workflow and results. Thank you.

Cheers,

Bob
  • acgardiner
    edited January 2015
    Hello,

I did use your file, but I see the Cut Selected Area(s) option in the menu when I select the blue area near the middle. Please provide a detailed description of your workflow and results. Thank you.

Cheers,

Bob

OK, let me try to explain my dilemma. I've attached four files: the MIF-MID should be the same as before. The Large Picture file is an HTML of the big picture. The other file shows two contours. The area between the two is the interference zone. The area within the smaller contour is an interference-free zone and should appear without any cross-hatching or other kind of fill. When these files are opened in MapInfo they are portrayed without any fill inside the inner contour. When I open in GM the fill is inclusive within the two contours to the origin.

I hope this helps.CILQ-FM Interference.zip
  • acgardiner
    edited January 2015
    Hello,

Cheers,

Bob

PS I have upgraded to v16 with the hope that that would solve my problem. Regretfully, it didn't.
  • acgardiner
    edited January 2015
    acgardiner wrote: »
    PS I have upgraded to v16 with the hope that that would solve my problem. Regretfully, it didn't.

Oops sorry - here's a PDF of the "Large Picture"
  • bmg_bob
    edited January 2015
    Hello,

Your file, "(null)vsCILQ-FM.mif", has an error that is causing Global Mapper problems. If you open the file in a text editor such as Notepad, and scroll down to line 2096, you will see the following data:
    -80.8234243 43.3673180
    -80.8230109 43.3657204

-80.9042527 43.3682045
    -80.9047562 43.3694976

The blank line before the line that says "580" is causing the problem. Simply delete that blank line and save the file. Global Mapper will be able to read it successfully, and when you select the area between the two contours, you will not see any hatching inside the inner contour. Here is a screen capture of the fixed file in Global Mapper.

acgardiner.png

Cheers,

Bob