Global Mapper v25.0

Global Mapper 16 Beta Questions

samknight
samknight BMG Staff
edited September 2015 in Technical Support
Hi All, to help us stay organized with general questions and feedback specifically about the version 16 beta, we'd like to try focusing it to one thread if possible to help FAQ's emerge. I'm going to warm this one up by answering a question I know will be coming since the documentation hasn't been finalized yet, please feel free to add your own questions to the thread and we'll do our best to stay on top of them. Of course, if you are running into a specific technical problem feel free to post a new thread:

How do I make a 3D Fly-through?

3d Fly-through
The Global Mapper Fly-Through feature allows you to create videos where the viewer travels over your 3-D data. This can be done in 4 easy steps:
1) Import 3-D data.
2) Define flight path.
3) Preview.
4) Save to AVI file.

Define Path:
One or more line features may be used to define the flight path. These lines can be real-world flight path data, such as from GPS, or a line you draw using the digitizer tool. If you are drawing a line, add a vertex at each key frame location. These are points that the fly-through will hit. When rendering the fly-through, frames will be created between each key frame to provide a smooth transition between key frames at a specified frame rate.
Select a line and add fly-through view data. This is done using the Fly-Through Path editor, which can be brought up using the “Edit Fly-Through Path” toolbar button (Looks like an airplane on the Digitizer toolbar). The editor will show a list of line vertices. These will be the location of key frames. The fly-through view requires elevation, if not already defined in the line feature, frame time, and camera heading and pitch. This data can be auto-generated. Once generated, individual key-frames can be edited.
To generate view data, first select the Camera Mode:
1) Straight Ahead – The camera will always point along the flight path.
2) Fixed Direction – The camera will always point at the given heading (degrees from north, positive eastward) and pitch (degrees from the horizontal, positive up).
3) Fixed Point – The camera will always point at the given point in space, given in global coordinates.
Next select the elevation mode:
1) Absolute – The camera elevation at each key frame will be the specified elevation value.
2) Relative to Ground – The camera elevation at each key frame will be the specified elevation value above the ground level at that point. When using this mode, make sure there are key frames at each peak along the flight path.
3) Use Existing – Use the elevations already defined for the line feature.
Specify the fly-through duration. When rendered, the camera will move at a constant velocity such that the time to travel from first to last key-frame will take this number of seconds.
Click the Generate Fly-through Data button. Generated view information will appear in the vertex list above.
Preview:
Launch the 3D Viewer. Click on the “Preview Fly-through” toolbar button. This will bring up a dialog that allows you to select each key frame. You may alter the view parameters if desired.
Render:
To view the fly-through video, click on the “Render Fly-through” toolbar button.
Save:
To create a fly-through video file in AVI format, click on the “Save Fly-through” toolbar button. (You do not have to “Render” first.) This will show a dialog where you specified the desired AVI resolution and frame rate (FPS – Frames Per Second). Choices include:
- 360p (640 x 360 pixels)
- 480p (854 x 480 pixels)
- 720p (1280 x 720 pixels)
- 1080p (1920, 1080 pixels)
You will then be prompted for file name and location. Even compressed AVI files can become very large, so use the lowest resolution and frame rate acceptable for your application.

Regards,
Sam Knight
Director of Product Management
Blue Marble Geographics

Comments

• Mykle
    Mykle Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2014
    Hi Sam,

1a. (picky) The link on the v16 beta forum announcement does open a browser window at the correct page, but the tab title is "Page Not Found".
    1b. The link in a new instance of GM without anything loaded works fine to load the same page with an appropriate tab title.

2. Should we use the v14 to v15 upgrade link, assuming the price is the same? Or do we need to wait for a v15 to v16 upgrade link to appear?

3. This behavior is the same in v15 and v16beta. I don't use 3D much, so was just playing around when this came up.

Load elevation file, several raster layers, and a file of points that don't have elevation values. Load the point file twice, once as lines and once as points. Zoom so the window is filled when displaying any of the raster layers.

Open the 3D window, pan and zoom around as you like. Note that "shadows" of the points MAY "float" under the raster layer (some are set for Blend="Multiple", some for "No Blend"). If you are zoomed out so you can look below the raster layer, the points are sitting at 0 elevation, but lines don't appear.

Under some but not all circumstances you can toggle a raster layer and the remaining raster layers display fine. But the raster layers may "disappear", so you are looking at the point "shadows" on 0 elevation. The bottom of the raster layers can be seen if you look "up". You have to zoom out to display the raster layers, then zoom back in. Doesn't seem to matter whether I turn on or off a raster layer, independently or using show/hide. Note that I have two layers "on", or I select two layers and use show/hide.

If my viewpoint is well over (inside) the raster image, using show/hide appears to work more reliably, but still not consistently. If my viewpoint is well above the raster layer (>2x raster elevation), then the raster layers appear properly but with a "jump" as though my viewpoint Z has been reduced (by the raster elevation).

The points and lines rendered in the 2D view are shown fine in 3D. Only "shadows" for points can be seen as circles on the 0 elevation "layer" in the 3D window. Sometimes these points appear as black dots "through" the raster layers, but I haven't discovered the secret for the difference.

I'd think that vector features without elevation values would inherit the elevation values from the elevation layer, unless some other setting is available.

I'd also think that toggling raster layers or adding/hiding them individually would not affect the viewpoint x,y,z position. It seems to use viewpoint x,y,z relative to the elevation surface, then flip to the x,y,z relative to 0 elevation.

... back to having fun prowling around v16 ...
    Mykle
  • kentman
    kentman Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2014
    Have just tried 16 and WOW! The Fly-through is fantastic and a major, major addition to the 3D capabilities. Will be doing more testing and will feed back but OMG, BMG you've done it again!
  • kentman
    kentman Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2014
    Sam,

Just trying the view shed in V16 and there seems to be an error:

This was a simple VS of 250m from a height of 1.8m not taking any other features into consideration. This seemed to set GM into a loop which was only broken by clicking the cancel button which then generated the error shown. The exact same VS in V15.2 is ok and executes in a few seconds.
    SS-VS.jpg
  • JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    edited September 2014
    Hi Mykle,

Thanks for the comments. With respect to:
    I'd think that vector features without elevation values would inherit the elevation values from the elevation layer, unless some other setting is available.
    Vector features don't automatically inherit elevation values from terrain, but you should be able to tell them to do so. Vector features now have an Altitude Mode setting whereby you can govern their behavior with respect to terrain in the scene. The available settings are:
    Unspecified : The default
    Absolute : Elevation values are taken to be absolute values above the terrain
    Relative to Ground: elevation values are taken to be relative to the terrain
    Clamp to ground: Elevation values are ignored, and the feature is clamped to the terrain
    Depth : Elevations value are taken to be absolute depths below the terrain

You can set Altitude Mode for a features in the Feature Editor dialog (Edit Selected Features).

Along with that, there is a setting in the 3D Viewer Options that governs behavior of features that have an altitude mode of Unspecified; you need to check the "Display 3D Vector Features in Space Above/Below Terrain Surface" checkbox, and select the appropriate altitude mode setting.

Please let me know if this helps.

With respect to the other issues you've noted, I'm not super clear on what's going on. If it's possible, some screen caps and/or sample data might be helpful.

thanks again,

~Jeff
  • EddSpatzz
    EddSpatzz Global Mapper User
    edited September 2014
    Is there a way to save the Generated Fly-through path data, manipulate it, then re-load?

I would like to be able to externally adjust the altitude and particularly, the pitch, in bulk, then render the Fly-through...
  • criquet
    criquet Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2014
    Congratulations all GM team for that awsome release !!

After a quick test, here is my first feedback regarding 3D Fly-through :

1) Would be great to allow to select and edit multiple vertices/key frames at the same time (instead of one by one only) on the "Fly-through Path Editor", it could be very usefull to set the same values for time, heading, and pitch parameters on several points simultaneously.

2) Camera Mode / Fixed point : Please record xyz values in appropriate fields for the last input > When making tests, we have to come back several times to adjust parameters on the "Fly-through Path Editor" window , and it's difficult to re-set those static xyz values as we can't pick up it in the same time for any point in the main map window with the info tool. Another usefull option in the same category would be to set an option that allow to select/pick point on the main map window.

3) Pitches values don't seem to set well when using the "fixed point" with the z field filled (In my case it's a negative z, waterdepth). This is the reason why of my point 2), I have to adjust manually pitches values in a second time for all key frames.

4) In the 3D view, the compass rose and the 3d Axis display well when turning appropriate options on, but they seem to be set at z=0. As I explained above, I work on the sea ground and they dont appear near the subsea terrain but very high above this. Is there a way to clamp it on the terrain grid, or to set a z value (this would be great in addition of scale parameter in the "3d view properties") ?

5) In the 3d view again, when "Display 3D Vector Features in Space Above/Below Terrain Surface" is checked, points symbols aready scaled in the "point styles" tab of main "configuration" menu become unscaled. How can it be scaled for 3D view too ?

Thanks for your improvements, thanks for your help

Criquet
  • PShorey
    PShorey Global Mapper Developer Moderator, Trusted User
    edited September 2014
    Hi EddSpatzz,

Currently this is not possible. However, I think it would be handy to have an option to export as csv or other text format. We are considering some other formats for import/export path data as well, such as gpx and kml. It's likely this will be added in one of the early v16 updates. Stay tuned.

Peter
  • PShorey
    PShorey Global Mapper Developer Moderator, Trusted User
    edited September 2014
    Criquet,

Thank you for the suggestions! We'll definitely be working on making fly-through path editing easier.

Peter
  • JeffH@BMG
    edited September 2014
    criquet wrote: »
    Congratulations all GM team for that awsome release !!
    4) In the 3D view, the compass rose and the 3d Axis display well when turning appropriate options on, but they seem to be set at z=0. As I explained above, I work on the sea ground and they dont appear near the subsea terrain but very high above this. Is there a way to clamp it on the terrain grid, or to set a z value (this would be great in addition of scale parameter in the "3d view properties") ?

5) In the 3d view again, when "Display 3D Vector Features in Space Above/Below Terrain Surface" is checked, points symbols aready scaled in the "point styles" tab of main "configuration" menu become unscaled. How can it be scaled for 3D view too ?
    Criquet

Hi Criquet,

Good suggestion for the compass rose/3D axis. I've created a request for this: #14338. We'll post back when we've added this.

We'll look into the issue with point symbol scaling and see if we can replicate it and address it.

thanks,

~Jeff
  • energy
    energy Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2014
    Hi
    graphs and charts options are so good but I have waited graphs and charts MAPS for every one points etc.
  • criquet
    criquet Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2014
    Hi,
    Another point to highlight :
    On my computer, the saved video doesn't have exactly the same "zoom level" as in the rendered one in the 3D view of GM, like if xyz values of each key frame have moved a little. The virtual video cam seems to be much closer to the fixed point in the saved .avi file compared to GM. I tried many sizes and frames speed during exportation, also for compressor modules, and still have the same result? Have I done something wrong, or is it because it's in beta progress ?
    Thanks,
    Criquet
  • jh93989
    jh93989 Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2014
    For 16 should we be posting any bugs under the bug reports section or will there be a consolidated post for these?
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited September 2014
    Please post bugs in the Bug Reports section. It is much easier to make sure we are responding to all of the issues when each one has its own thread. As always, be sure to indicate the version number in the description.

Thank you,

Bob
  • JeffH@BMG
    edited September 2014
    Hi again Criquet,

With respect to the point symbol scaling in the 3D viewer, I've been able to replicate this and have files a bug for it (#14398). We'll report back when it's been fixed and available.

thanks again,

~Jeff
  • arooj
    arooj Global Mapper User
    edited October 2014

I will let you know if this works for me Thanks and keep posting such a informative blogs

____________arooj
  • Amanda McDermott
    Amanda McDermott Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited October 2014
    Apologies, I have realised that I posted a GM16 question in the wrong thread, as you have requested that we post in this one. Please ignore the same question in the other thread, and I will re-post here;

In looking at the 'New in this Version' text, I notice that the 'BUFFER' script command sections of the helpfile (which were there in GM15) seem to be missing? Thought I would bring to your attention in case this means other helpful scripting reference items are also missing?!

Also, I have since tried running an old script that contains BUFFER commands, and worked in GM 15.2. It seems to be accepted, but then freezes on 'Editing vector features...', and does not work in GM16.

thanks,
    Amanda
  • bmg_bob
    edited October 2014
    Hi Amanda,

The BUFFER_* parameters are used on the EDIT_VECTOR command, and are documented in that portion of the help file in Global Mapper 16.

Also, feel free to post GM 16 questions in the appropriate subject area on the forum. There is no need to post all of them here. That request only applied to the beta.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Amanda McDermott
    edited October 2014
    Thanks Bob,

Found the scripting reference for buffers now!

I'm afraid, though, that the problem remains with my script. It works in GM15.2, and is not working in GM16.0. It's quite simple, just;

GLOBAL_MAPPER_SCRIPT VERSION="1.00"
    EDIT_VECTOR BUFFER_DIST="0.5" BUFFER_ZONES="1"

In GM15.2 it creates buffers for all loaded features, but in GM16.0 it gets stuck at 'Editing vector features...'
  • bmg_bob
    edited October 2014
    Hi Amanda,

I think we fixed that problem in the latest daily build. Please download the latest build of Global Mapper from the following locations:

32-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper16.zip
    64-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper16_64bit.zip

Simply download the .zip file for the build that you are using and extract over your existing installation files (do not uninstall Global Mapper). The likely locations to extract to are as follows:

32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\GlobalMapper16
    64-bit: C:\Program Files\GlobalMapper16_64bit

If the problem persists, post again and we will do some more debugging.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Amanda McDermott
    edited October 2014
    Works a treat now!

Thank you,
    Amanda
This discussion has been closed.