Global Mapper v25.0

Global Mapper v16-beta Now Available!

samknight
samknight BMG Staff
edited September 2014 in Announcement and News
We are excited to announce the upcoming release of Global Mapper v16! This major release offers a variety of powerful, new features and functions that we know you will find useful. Thank you all for your ongoing interest and support of Global Mapper. We are looking forward to your feedback during the beta period. Please send your questions and suggestions to beta@bluemarblegeo.com. If you’d rather post your technical questions to the forum, look for the Global Mapper Beta questions thread (http://www.globalmapperforum.com/forums/technical-support/11805-global-mapper-16-beta-questions.html). There are some great new features coming in v16 that you will find in the beta:
  • Multi-core support for Contouring, View Shed Calculation, Gridding of 3d Vectors, Searching Attributes, Creation of Area Features from equal raster values, and Automatic Ground Classification in the LiDAR module. This will greatly speed up these operations on computers with multi-core processors.
  • 3D flythrough rendering to produce high definition video files of flythroughs in the 3D Viewer from loaded or digitized line features
  • Skybox for background image display in the 3d Viewer
  • Display of live GPS location in the 3D Viewer
  • An optional link between the 2D and 3D viewers allowing you to zoom/pan in one and have the other update
  • A new tool to create Graphs and Charts from vector data attributes or raster data values and then add these graphs as images on the main map view or save them out to file
  • A new GeoCalc toolbar for easier integration of Geographic Calculator 2014 and Global Mapper 16
  • Support for a number of 3d Modeling formats
New in the LiDAR Module:

• Automatic Classification for Buildings and Trees
  • Feature Extraction for Buildings and Trees; creates area feature outlines
  • Improved Automatic Ground Classificaton both in accuracy and speed
  • Added new LiDAR gridding types to grid directly based on Height Above Ground or Intensity

There are of course many, many more enhancements, these are just some highlights. You can access the Beta downloads page on our website at:
http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/products/global-mapper-beta.php

As in the past, the beta can be installed right alongside previous versions without uninstalling them; they will not be impacted by the new version. Once installed, you can request an evaluation license from the Registration screen that will launch the first time you open Global Mapper 16.

Global Energy Mapper Users Note:
With this release, users of Global Energy Mapper will find that all of the features of GEM have been migrated into Global Mapper itself, so there is no need to turn on the extension, obtain a separate license, or have a separate installation like in years past.

We hope you like the new features, the complete list of What’s New will display during installation.

Regards,
Sam Knight
Director of Product Management
Blue Marble Geographics

Comments

• kbellis
    kbellis Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2014
    Thanks Sam! And thanks to Mike Childs and EVERYBODY who helps make GM great!

Just in case anybody asks... How should the licensing question be handled; i.e., should we request a 2-week trial license? :)
  • samknight
    samknight BMG Staff
    edited September 2014
    kbellis wrote: »
    Thanks Sam! And thanks to Mike Childs and EVERYBODY who helps make GM great!

Just in case anybody asks... How should the licensing question be handled; i.e., should we request a 2-week trial license? :)

Yes, you can use the automatic 2 week evaluation request from the Registration screen on first run, if that gives you any trouble due to firewalls, etc. or if you are offline, you can send the Machine ID you will see on that screen into: authorize@bluemarblegeo.com and we can generate a license manually and email it back. If emailing in, please be sure to indicate that this is for the version 16 beta.

Regards,
    Sam Knight
    Director of Product Management
    Blue Marble Geographics
  • hgleixner
    hgleixner Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2014
    Hello,
    I failed trying the 3d flythrough: I get the error message:

"No fly-through paths are defined. Select a line feature with digitizer and use the Edit fly-through Path tool to define."

But where?

Thanks
    Henry
  • JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    edited September 2014
    Hi Henry,

Select a line feature in the 2D view, right-click and select Vertex Editing / Edit Fly-through Path. This will bring up a dialog where you can edit the camera properties for each point in the line. Once this information is added, you should be able to use it with the 3D Fly-through feature.

Hope that this helps,

~Jeff
  • hgleixner
    hgleixner Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2014
    Thanks, Jeff,
    it works!
    Henry
  • John Ratsey
    John Ratsey Global Mapper User
    edited September 2014
    Is there a setting to limit the number of cores / threads that a multicore operation will use? I've looked and can't see it.

I want to be able to find the happy balance between a performance improvement and GM grabbing all the CPU resources which causes my computer's fan to go into its very noisy mode.

If the setting isn't there then I suggest a user thread limit preference is added as a global configuration setting with, ideally, the option to change this for a particular session in the dialog box for that session.
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited September 2014
    John,

I have added support for a registry key (DWORD key at ‘HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Global Mapper\MaxThreadCount’) to specify the maximum number of background threads/cores to use for operations that support multi-threading. The default value of 0 will use all but one available system thread in most cases so that one core is always available to keep the UI responsive.

I have placed new builds with the latest changes at the links below:

32-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper16.zip
    64-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper16_64bit.zip

Simply download the .zip file for the build that you are using and extract over your existing installation files. The likely locations to extract to are as follows:

32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\GlobalMapper16
    64-bit: C:\Program Files\GlobalMapper16_64bit

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • tjhb
    tjhb Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited September 2014
    FWIW--partly for the purposes of considering the default core utilization--I will initially set this option to 5 cores, for a CPU with 8 virtual cores (4 physical cores with hyperthreading).

I always found that dividing a task between 5 simultaneous instances of GM 15 in an 8-core hyperthreaded context gave better performance--in terms of time to complete a given batch--than 6, 7, or 8 cores (or 4).

The same may not be true in GM 16 of course, or for all hyperthreaded CPUs, and I will experiment again.
  • John Ratsey
    John Ratsey Global Mapper User
    edited September 2014
    Thank you for the quick response.

BTW, some of the files in the update zip package are older than those in the full installer package.
This discussion has been closed.