Global Mapper v25.0

Change feature types and preserve attributes?

DanHG
DanHG Global Mapper User
edited August 2014 in Vector Data
I'm looking to change area feature types for existing area features from Unknown Area Type to my own custom type with custom attributes. The problem is that there's a few hundred of these things and they all have the attributes filled in. If I edit the features and change them to my custom type, these attributes are overwritten with either blank values or default values, as defined in the custom area type.

I would think there must be a way to change types while preserving any attributes defined in the new type. I've looked around, searched here and elsewhere, and I can't find it. I tried exporting an attribute table, changing in excel and then joining the revised table back to the data, and while this looked promising, it didn't achieve the result (area type remained unchanged).

Is there a way?

- OK so as I was about to post this I had a bit of an epiphany and came up with a fairly easy workaround. I exported the area type definitions to a file, went into my own custom area type and removed all attributes, changed all my areas to the custom type, then reloaded the area type definitions from the file. If there's a better way, please let me know. I thought I'd still post because I'm sure someone else has come up against this before.

Comments