Global Mapper v25.0

Gm16

energy
energy Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited November 2014 in Announcement and News
Hi
September is coming! will new GM be announced? do you add any stunning option? dynamic layout, adding text-picture-objects?

Comments

• energy
    energy Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2014
    I think GM programmers or gurus have not any idea about next GM?:)
  • PatrickBMG
    PatrickBMG BMG Staff
    edited August 2014
    The next release will be very exciting. We will introduce automatic feature extraction for buildings and trees in the lidar module. In the process of adding this functionality all processing in the software will benefit. If your machine has multiple cores (which it should or you need to upgrade ;-)) you will find almost every data processing operation is dramatically faster. We will be adding new graphing and charting capabilities for both raster and vector data. There will be big features in the area of 3D with new tools for editing and manipulating data in the 3D window as well as a 3D fly through and other similar features. We're going to be a little quiet on those details at this point as we are implementing some of that right now and we are not sure exactly what will make it in to this release or be pushed off to v16.1, but it will be a great release. More to come on this in the next few weeks. We're aiming for a mid-September release. Thanks for the question.
  • energy
    edited August 2014
    Thanks Patrick
    would I like to learn about one thing, are improving layout and screen capabilities like adding image, text,object and editing them like arc map or mapinfo so difficult? or do you need diferrent/another program language(phyton etc.)?
  • Jasmine_BMG
    Jasmine_BMG BMG Staff
    edited August 2014
    Hi Energy,

There are no major changes planned for 'Map Layout' functionality with the initial release of Global Mapper v16. However, we have a cohort of cartographic enhancements that we are looking at adding in the near future. If you have any specific cartographic or map layout or printing tools that you would like to see added, please let us know.

You may contact us directly at geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com, or start a thread on this forum to workshop ideas for new Global Mapper cartographic tools if you like.

Regards,

Jasmine
  • energy
    edited August 2014
    Hi Jasmine,
    there are a lot of advantages according to the other gis software.GM is best gıs software for us(me) that I can use it on the coal projects, in spite ı use arcgis and mapinfo. however there are lacks of graphs and flexibility and layout,forexemple I'd like to add borehole logs image near the borehole points,ok I can do that but that is not practical/handy. I can add image and drag also change size, as well as text,object....
  • BillB
    BillB Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2014
    Just my two-penneth. The 3d view can be a very useful way of looking at topographical and other 3d data, but at present it only offers a form of overview, due to non-precise camera positioning. It would be particularly helpful to be able to locate a 'camera' and 'target' in the 2D view - or perhaps a vector to define them; and be able to set an elevation (for viewpoint in particular) above ground. Also some degree of control over view angle or zoom. This would allow the 3d view to become a more useful analytical tool related to real-world geography.
  • JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    edited August 2014
    Hi Bill,

Thanks for the suggestions. We have a whole host of changes to the 3D view for the future, some of which will go into v16. Offering better control over the camera viewing parameters would be a useful addition, I agree. If you have examples of this kind of control UI that you like in other packages, we'd appreciate it if you could suggest them. I've looked at the control in the Adobe 3D PDF viewer, and that seems pretty similar to what you're asking for.

I've created ticket #14185 to capture this request.

thanks,

~Jeff
  • BillB
    BillB Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2014
    Thanks Jeff

I'm not familiar with the Adobe 3D PDF viewer approach. Sketchup has great 3d camera handling, similar in a way to Google Earth's pegman. Drop a 'little man' on the ground (can snap to a point) then can pan on that point, zoom etc.

However, the simplest way to get accurate camera positioning is probably as I suggested:
    In the 2d view, click to position camera (this takes advantage of options like snapping to points) then click to position target (something like the ruler tool). If these pick up underlying elevation values from any loaded grid, and add a default camera height (eg 1.5m) which can later be adjusted in the 3d view, that covers the basics.
    Other useful controls would be:
    - set camera vertical angle or just align camera to horizontal (this allows panned views from the same point to be exported and stitched into panoramas)
    - alter view angle (zoom~wide angle, ideally using camera-lens terminology)
    All view parameters should be capable of the being saved as named views.

Hope that helps.
  • JeffH@BMG
    JeffH@BMG Global Mapper Developer Trusted User
    edited August 2014
    Thanks, Bill, I've added that to the mix. It'll give me an excuse to play with, er, research Sketchup, which I haven't used before.

~Jeff
  • Amanda McDermott
    Amanda McDermott Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited October 2014
    Hello GM Support,

We are excited to have updated to GM16!

However, in looking at the 'New in this Version' text, I notice that the 'BUFFER' script command sections of the helpfile (which were there in GM15) seem to be missing? Thought I would bring to your attention in case this means other helpful scripting reference items are also missing?!

Thanks,
    Amanda
  • JSL
    JSL Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited October 2014
    Hi, I noticed that GM 16 has certainly speeded up contour generation, and I was wondering if the Generate Watershed command has benefited from the same processing upgrade? I do large watershed areas, and I'm not sure if I notice faster speed or not.

Thanks for a great product.
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    edited October 2014
    The following operations take advantage of multiple cores:
    • Contour Generation
    • View Shed Calculation
    • Gridding of 3D vector features
    • Search by Attributes/Name
    • Creation of area features from equal colors/elevation/slopes
    • [LIDAR MODULE ONLY] Automatic classification of Lidar ground points (20X as fast or more)
    • [LIDAR MODULE ONLY] Initial display of height-above-ground color for Lidar point clouds
    • Reprojection of layers covering a large area of the world
    We will be adding more as time permits, but watershed generation is not multithreaded yet.

Cheers,

Bob
  • bmg_mike
    bmg_mike Global Mapper Guru Moderator, Trusted User
    edited October 2014
    The EDIT_VECTOR command is where the buffer creation parameters are. See Global Mapper Scripting Reference where the parameters are documented.

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation
  • JSL
    JSL Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for that info--I look forward to having watershed gens speeded up!
  • OshnDoc
    OshnDoc Global Mapper User
    Any news on this?  I am running very large watershed analyses on bathymetric maps as well, and am routinely running out of memory after a couple of days of computing. Is this or will this be addressed in one of the more recent versions?
    I am running V16.2.
    Thanks
  • bmg_bob
    bmg_bob Global Mapper Programmer
    Hello,

We have not yet implemented multi-threading for watershed analysis. That said, multi-threading is not a panacea -- given that you are running out of memory, multi-threading may just let you run out of memory faster.  It is possible that you can improve the efficiency of your job by adjusting the parameters you use.  I suggest that you get in touch with Blue Marble Geographics Support via email (geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com) to see if they have any suggestions. It would also be a good idea for you to download the latest version of Global Mapper, and try running your watershed analysis under a trial license. 

Cheers,
    Bob