Global Mapper v25.0

GM not handling elevation units when combining a line

dcoggin
dcoggin Global Mapper UserTrusted User
edited August 2014 in Bug Report
Hello Tech Support,

I have a vector layer which is designated with vertical units of feet in the option dialog. If I combine two lines on that layer, the combined line is moved to the User Created Features layer which is initialized as using meters for elevation (assuming Native Overlay Units selected in the Vertical Options tab of the Configuration dialog). Vertex elevation values are, however, not converted from feet to meters. If I move that combined feature back to its original layer, an elevation conversion is applied. The combined line is now on its original layer with incorrect elevations.

Thanks for looking at it.

David

Comments

• Josie_BMG
    Josie_BMG Global Mapper User
    edited August 2014
    Hi David, I have not been able to recreate the situation that you are describing. Can you please submit a copy of your workspace? You can add it here or email it to geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com.

Thanks!
    Josie
  • dcoggin
    dcoggin Global Mapper User Trusted User
    edited August 2014
    Hi Josie,

I'll upload a shapefile that demonstrates the problem. Here's the steps:

Open a new instance of GM (I think it's important that you have the "Native Overlay Units" option selected for "Elevation Display/Export Units" in the configuration dialog) and open the shapefile.

Notice that the new layer uses elevations in feet and that the vertices all have an elevation of 1 foot.

Combine the two segments.

The combined line is now on the User Created Features Layer which has been initialized with elevations in meters (not sure about the logic in this), and the line vertex elevations are now 1 meter (should be 0.3048 meters).

Move the line back to the original layer and the elevations are converted from 1 meter to 3.048 feet.

Thanks for looking at it.

David
  • Josie_BMG
    Josie_BMG Global Mapper User
    edited August 2014
    Hi Dcoggin, Thank you for posting that information and the file. I have submitted a bug for our developers to look at, the number is 14166 if you want to follow up.

Thanks!
    Josie
  • global_mapper
    global_mapper Administrator
    edited August 2014
    David,

I have fixed the issue so the elevation values will properly convert to the units of the new line layer. I have placed new builds with the latest changes at the links below:

32-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15.zip
    64-bit: http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/downloads/global-mapper/global_mapper15_64bit.zip

Simply download the .zip file for the build that you are using and extract over your existing installation files. The likely locations to extract to are as follows:

32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\GlobalMapper15
    64-bit: C:\Program Files\GlobalMapper15_64bit

Thanks,

Mike
    Global Mapper Guru
    geohelp@bluemarblegeo.com
    Blue Marble Geographics for Coordinate Conversion, Image Reprojection and Vector Translation